GE fridge GDL20KCSABS: condenser fan not running

Old 10-25-17, 01:24 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool GE fridge GDL20KCSABS: condenser fan not running

I have the above refrigerator. I found it overheated and shutdown a couple days ago. After leaving it unplugged for 12 hours I gave it a try. It appears to be cooling but the condenser fan won't run. I checked the voltage at the Control Board. 12 to 13 volts. I checked the voltage on the feed side of the fan connector and the fan side of the fan connector. 12 to 13 volts. I disconnected the power and checked the motor for an open circuit. Neither the blue or red were open. The resistors on the control board look good. no obvious frying. I have had it running now for four to five hours with a small household fan blowing air across the condenser coils no issue. The coils were fairly clean but I vacuumed them and used a small straw brush to clean almost every thing off them. Just so I covered my bases, I found a reasonably priced replacement fan motor at a local parts shop. Same result. Any thing else I can check??

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-25-17, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That's a GE fridge manufactured by LG.
Do you have the little mini manual (31-51651) ? Not that it's much help.

That uses a 4 wire DC motor. Three wires are used at the condensor fan and four are used at the evaporator fan. Same motor I believe.

You need to check for 12vdc from red(+) to white(-). That's the basic fan power.
Then you need to check from yellow(+) to white(-) for somewhere between 5-12v. That is the turn-on trigger line. Blue wire is not used in this location.

Name:  GE LG fridge.JPG
Views: 1698
Size:  39.1 KB

Questions and Answers for GE WR84X10055 Condenser Fan Motor

Old 10-26-17, 07:57 AM
B
Pete, Thanks. I got the wiring straight. I had managed to pull the feed wires out when I first took apart the connector and thought i put them back right. The white now goes to white on the motor, red to red and pink to yellow. No luck. on the motor side of the connector I am getting 13.4 volts white/red and 2.2 volts white/yellow. You post indicated it should be 5 to 12 volts. Does this indicate a bad control board or some other component?

Thanks,

Al

Old 10-26-17, 12:01 PM
B
Also. I checked the voltage at the J2 connector pins 8 and 5. 11.4 volts.

Thanks,

Al

Old 10-26-17, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Here's the problem.... a defective motor can cause the yellow line to be pulled excessively low. A defective control board can also cause the same problem.

I have not had a condensor fan problem on that type fridge so I'm not sure which to change. I would probably have a spare motor and change that first.

Here's what I personally would try.... check pin 4. That's the evap fan control. If that is high..... try a jumper from 4 and 5 and see if that makes the condensor motor come on. If that drags pin 4 and 5 low.... then change the motor. Most online dealers now offer a 365 day no questions asked return policy. It may cost a few dollars more but you won't get stuck with it if it's not the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: