Small freezer for basement - can I run it on an extension cord?

Old 11-10-17, 02:15 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small freezer for basement - can I run it on an extension cord?

I thought I read that a freezer should be connected directly to the outlet, but the place that I want to put a small 6 cf freezer doesn't have a direct outlet. Is it ok to use an extension cord or should I have an electrician put it another outlet?

Old 11-10-17, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,194 Likes on 2,869 Posts
It's always better to have a receptacle near by.
If there is no alternative.... use a short appliance extension cord.

Old 11-10-17, 02:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
I would add that if you use too small of an extension cord or one that is too long you run the risk of burning up your freezer motor.

Old 11-10-17, 04:27 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
How cold does it down there?
The reason I ask is if it's too cold the freezer may not turn on.
Add some more info, better yet a picture of your basement, adding another outlet may be a simple DIY job.
If I did need to run an extention cord I'd make sure it was at least 12 gauge wire.
Basements should have 12 gauge wiring on a 20 amp. breaker, what's yours?

Old 11-10-17, 04:38 PM
Received 625 Likes on 555 Posts
if you use too small of an extension cord
And by that you mean too small as in gauge. (you want to use at least 14 gauge or bigger, 12, 10) the smaller the number the bigger or thicker the gauge.

Old 11-10-17, 07:06 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't get that cold, i'm not sure of the actual temp though. I think it's 20 amp, I'll have to check. The house was built in 1970 though and has older wiring. I have NM wiring, not NM-B by the way. Someone said that's not 'old wiring", it's modern wiring. I have all grounded 3 prongs also.

I recently replaced most of the outlets in the house and changed the kitchen to GFC also. It's been more than 6 months and I've now forgotten most of the terminology.

I have 2 aluminum nm wires that are dedicated from the washer dryer to the panel and one that goes into my bedroom upstairs and one into the living room that used to have ac on them. they're also dedicated circuits or whatever you call them. Someone said they're rather safe and there's no need to change them out for newer wiring I think, but that's a whole other issue I guess and I;m, straying off point of the post lol.

Maybe Ill have an electrician add a dedicated outlet (circuit) down there for one.

Last edited by Brian1900; 11-10-17 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-11-17, 03:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
A couple of pictures of where you want outlet and the source, Also wall between it might not be to much than changing outlets but pictures will help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: