Freezer to fridge conversion

Old 12-02-17, 02:31 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Freezer to fridge conversion

Hi Guys,

I'm a noob here from Melbourne, Australia.

I've been having issues with the fridge compartment of my refrigerator which hasn't been working for few days & I am not sure whether it is repairable at this stage.

I have a 200 litre chest freezer(spare one) that has been given to me and I have started using the freezer as a temporary fridge as an interim solution. I've looked into freezer to fridge conversion kits which I think basically nothing more than fitting a fridge thermostat in series with the compressor live wire.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261040642198?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
However, I have been able to simulate a similar thing using an ordinary wall plug mechanical 24 hour timer which I set to run every couple of hours for few minutes and the temperature stays around 4 degrees celsius or so(I use a thermometer to keep an eye, but since I got the 'programming' right to keep the right temperature all the time, it works ok).

My question is,
I don't have to convert it properly by fitting in the above thermostat do I??!!
I find it bit too much work when I can do a similar thing without a precise temperature controlling thermostat.

Of course, if I decide to keep the chest freezer as a fridge, then I can use the above thermostat or use a temperature controller. I think temperature controllers are better because I can wire up a buzzer to alarm & alert me if the temperature somehow drops below healthy level due to some failure of the fridge/freezer.

Thanking you in advance for any advice.

Last edited by DIYfly; 12-02-17 at 03:46 AM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-17, 02:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
That is what a thermostat does is shut the power off, If a timer works fr you why not keep using it.

Old 12-02-17, 03:50 AM
D
Thank you.
That's what I thought, but I thought it's better to get some advice here first.

I am thinking about installing one of these temperature controllers and keep the freezer as a fridge, indefinitely.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25326662...84.m1436.l2649

Old 12-02-17, 03:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 622 Votes on 575 Posts
It's commonly done here in the US turning a chest freezer into a "kreezer". A fridge for holding beer kegs with taps on the top or sides. They use a separate thermostat. You simply plug the chest freezer into the thermostat and it sends power to to the freezer as needed to maintain the fridge temperature you want. Amazon and numerous home brew suppliers sell them here in the US. Hopefully they are also sold in Australia. If not, I built mine using a Dwyer Instruments Love temperature controller.

Old 12-02-17, 04:12 AM
D
Thanx.
They are actually available here in Australia fairly cheaply or I can order one even cheaper from China
if I am happy to wait for something like six months for it to arrive here.