Wiring for new dishwasher

Old 12-23-17, 10:28 AM
I
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wiring for new dishwasher

Hi all,

My 15+ yrs old Kenmore dishwasher no longer works, and I'm going to buy something new today. Not sure which brand yet, but I have a wiring question.

When I removed the old dishwasher, it looks like they cut the plug off of the dishwasher's electrical and wired it into the wall. The problem is, I can't access the wall without destroying it. I tried gently tugging on the wire to see if I could expose the connection, but no luck.

There's a socket directly above the dishwasher on the wall, but it's not powered through that socket. The dishwasher is on the same breaker as my laundry room lights (directly underneath kitchen).

See pics:

Wiring coming from dishwasher:

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-23-17, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Old dishwashers didn't come with a power cord. They came just like you see it. A metal junction box with a hole for an NM connector. Someone connected the NM-b cable from the wall directly into the junction box.... which is ok.... but it needs a proper connector.

You will remove the cover from that junction box, remove the wire nuts and take the cable out of the box. Be sure power is turned off first.

Old 12-23-17, 11:38 AM
I
Thanks, pjmax, I didn't realize that's what it was supposed to look like. One question, You said:
Someone connected the NM-b cable from the wall directly into the junction box.... which is ok.... but it needs a proper connector.
Not sure what you mean by a "proper connector". Do you mean the dishwasher I buy has to be able to match these wires somehow?
Thanks!

Old 12-23-17, 12:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Probably a cable clamp like this so the sharp edge of the metal box doesn't cut through the insulation.

Old 12-23-17, 01:44 PM
I
Thanks, Pilot Dane, that makes sense! Appreciate yours and pjmax's help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: