Frigidaire top loader won't agitate

Old 01-06-18, 11:31 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire top loader won't agitate

Hello from new member in Pennsylvania. I have a 20-yr old +/- Frigidaire Gallery Series top-loading washing machine, model FWS645GFT1. Has been very reliable over the years. Replaced a lot of parts recently including drive belt, agitator, lid safety switch, tub seal, and (new) transmission. Just don't want to buy a new electronics-laden machine. Anyway, the Frigidiaire unit spins but does not agitate. Removed agitator and checked shaft operation but no agitation. Bypassed lid switch but no agitation. When attempting to agitate, inner tub moves slightly (0.25 in.) clockwise then seems to get jammed. Tub turns counterclockwise (to spin) with no problems, and water empties as it should. Motor sounds healthy. Mechanical timer on control panel works fine. Not sure what is causing no-agitate condition, and agitation-cycle tub action to lock-up. Any advice will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-18, 01:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Take belt off and turn center pulley in direction of spin. Sounds like something jammed in transmission. Agitator should agitate when turning.

Old 01-07-18, 11:05 AM
H
Pugsl -- Thanks for your suggestion. I removed the belt but the pulley will only turn in one direction. I took out the transmission and will get a warranty replacement tomorrow. The defective trans is a new Electrolux unit. Defective or poorly made parts seem to be becoming the norm.

Old 01-07-18, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Keep us updated it always helps somebody else. Thanks.

Old 01-20-18, 03:29 PM
H
Turns out the new Electrolux transmission that I installed in December 2017 was defective. Exchanged it for another new unit, which is working properly. The parts dealer informed me that although it was uncommon for a new transmission to be defective, it was not unheard of. I suppose the lesson here is to not assume that a new part is always a properly functioning part.