Out of idea on my older Roper machine and my husband hasn't a clue!

Old 02-08-18, 12:04 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Out of idea on my older Roper machine and my husband hasn't a clue!

My older-model direct drive, top loading Roper washer was making a horrible noise on the spin cycle and wouldn’t spin.
I replaced the clutch assembly.
The horrible noise stopped but it still wouldn’t spin — the motor was just humming.
I replaced the direct drive motor coupling, which was indeed broken.
Same result - humming motor, no spin.
I took the clutch assembly out and VERY carefully put it back in, in case I’d made a mistake.
No joy.
So now I wonder what else it could be. I'm suspicious because the motor coupling was broke so I thought it would work.
Any possible direction you can point me would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-18, 01:11 PM
B
Received 81 Votes on 72 Posts
Most washing machine motors have a centrifugal switch on the motor shaft that connects voltage to the start winding when the motor is at rest and removes the voltage to the start winding when the motor reaches speed. The switch operates mechanically using springs and weights and over time can need cleaning and lubrication. If the switch is accessible, you can spray WD40 on the mechanism. After spraying, clean the electrical contact part of the switch with alcohol. Your symptom is indicative of the start winding not getting voltage.

Old 02-08-18, 02:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Motor humming first thing I do is unclip water pump from front of motor, Leave hoses connected and pull pump off shaft. You can tuck it up out of way or just leave hanging but make sure it is off motor shaft. Lean washer back against wall to do this. Set washer back down and put it into spin. If motor runs than you have a sock stuck i pump. Slight chance of getting out but most times i have had to replace pump. Very common problem with that washer.