HELP! Older Whirlpool top load washer -won't spin..it's NOT lid switch

Old 03-07-18, 06:04 PM
HELP! Older Whirlpool top load washer -won't spin..it's NOT lid switch

I replaced timer with new one. It WAS spinning BEFORE timer replacement (timer went totally out, smelly etc). NOW, new timer will fill and agitate, but in "regular" mode, when it goes to lower agitation, the timer stops (no noise, nothing). I can advance manually to any cycle and put it in agitate position and it works, but won't spin OR drain. I'm going to look at motor coupler, but BEFORE I do shouldn't timer still make noise (timer run) even if coupler is broken?? -- THANKS in advance!

PS NOT lid switch

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-18, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
It's not going to be the motor coupler. If it was.... there would be no agitate.

My guess would be a misplaced wire on the timer.
Post the model number so I can look at the wiring diagram.
The diagram will also be somewhere on the machine..... the back or on a removable panel.

Old 03-08-18, 10:17 AM

there's one large connecting thingy. part # for timer is 3951702 (sometimes WP in front, and/or E at end). If THAT'S not enough info, I'll try to find washer model and get back. Since I have it upright, I may try shooting it with connector cleaner and fire it up (I suppose). THANKS!!!

Old 03-08-18, 11:22 AM
Only numbers on machine are SM 8525079 Rev A on lid, and 3357070 stamped into metal panel on back. (inside image is before I removed old timer)

Attached Images   
Old 03-08-18, 11:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Model # open lid in back on a label will be model and serial numbers, Hope it is there because that is only place it is. Model # is critical for timer.
Sometimes hard to see look under lid in back.

Old 03-08-18, 01:23 PM
Sorry......not sure what you mean by "lid in back". Are you referring to back cover panel? Maybe the "top"? Isn't that fastened to the whole "case" portion? There are no labels.numbers I can see anywhere on the "outside". I did buy this new (years ago) so nobody could have removed numbers if on labels. Again, sorry for ignorance. BUT - if the timer "runs", and then stops making noise/running at certain points, would THAT be normal if it wasn't faulty?)

Old 03-08-18, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
Open the lid of the washer..... look all the way down and just under it. The ID tag is just behind the lid.

Name:  id.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  17.1 KB

Old 03-08-18, 01:37 PM
Hi again......searched online and saw video showing several locations........if mine had a label, it's long gone.

Old 03-08-18, 01:44 PM
Now that I've seen your image.........it WAS there......totally gone/destroyed. ----- I REALLY appreciate your time and effort! - What about the timer not making noise at the drain/spin spots? It stops completely, but does make noise when in wash/agitate mode (example in handwash cycle - agitates, then doesn't, but timer still "runs/makes timer noise".

Old 03-08-18, 02:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you are missing a contact in the timer you have. If you have old timer call Whirlpool with # and see if they can help. Without model # of washer there re way to many different timers to match.

Old 03-08-18, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
If you didn't have the model number... how did you get a timer ?

They don't usually get destroyed. Just crudded up with laundry soap.

Old 03-08-18, 04:26 PM
Timer part number -- Just got ANOTHER new timer, installed it, Same symptoms. I'm close to giving up. It makes no "common" sense, unless there's a logical reason............. (other images posted earlier)

Attached Images  
Old 03-08-18, 05:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There should have been a tech sheet with your timer settingd. I think the pin layout is there also so you should be able to ohm pout the pins for spin.

Old 03-08-18, 05:52 PM
No tech sheet with either new timer. I use a meter on guitars and can check batteries, but that's about it. I'm on timer number 2, BTW. Not sure what to do............

Old 03-09-18, 05:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tech sheet should have been in washer under the console. Will have a complicated looking side that are the timer settings,

Old 03-09-18, 11:28 AM
None there. This is likely something I can't deal with (wish I could). It's possibly some simple (hidden) problem, but with a new timer (2 actually, thinking first one defective) it may be time for a novice like me to give up.

Old 03-09-18, 11:41 AM
HEY! Would it agitate but not drain/spin if it were the belt?????? OR, would a timer going "out" effect pump or something else related to drain/spin? ALSO..... I just saw in a video other possibilities, like transmission problem, or faulty motor troubles . Now that I've seen one "inside", I alsosee there are a number of electrical connections that may be faulty as well. ............ ????

Last edited by rrs814; 03-09-18 at 12:55 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-09-18, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
We recognize machines based on model number. Without that...we're guessing.

If that is a direct drive machine there is no belt. There's a drive coupler. Agitate is the motor turning in the forward direction. Draining and spinning is the motor turning in the opposite direction.

It could be a connection in the machine or at the motor but that would have been something you did during the timer replacement because you said spin was fine before changing timer and now it's not.

Old 03-10-18, 08:41 AM
Can you put the old timer back on to validate it still spins? If it does you might not be getting the correct timer.

Old 03-10-18, 11:48 AM
Timer is/was direct replacement, same part number/design as original. I've given up. Someone that "knows" what they're doing could probably fix this thing, but I bought a nice reconditioned one (same, old school simple machine). I must give up. THANKS to all for trying.