Samsung dryer blows lint out the vent?

Old 03-20-18, 10:13 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Samsung dryer blows lint out the vent?

I have a Samsung DV350AEW/XAA dryer. Every time I turn it on, lint blows out the vent on the outside of the house. I have taken the front panel apart and examined the lint filter assembly. The filter slides all the way down in its housing, and there doesn't seem to be a way for lint to get around it. The filter does filter some lint (I clean it before every use), but apparently a significant amount gets by the filter somehow.

Does anyone know how to approach dealing with this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-18, 10:20 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I've never seen a dryer that didn't do this.

Old 03-20-18, 10:28 AM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Lint build up in the heat exhaust pipe is common. What kind of exhaust pipe are you using? Corrugated plastic (no longer aloud and against code in most places), corrugated flex steel tube (OK but can still collect lint), or straight rigid dryer vent tube with metal elbows (least likely to collect lint and best to use). You should periodically disassemble the exhaust pipe and clean it out,

Old 03-20-18, 11:46 AM
G
It's the flexible metal kind of duct (not plastic that looks like metal). Total run is about 4 feet. I don't think this is lint that's getting stuck in the duct. It's lint that isn't getting caught by the lint filter. @stickshift - I have never had a dryer that did this.

When we first moved into the house and hooked up the dryer (it had been stored in the basement for a few years prior), there was a pile of lint in the bottom of the lint filter housing that prevented the filter from going all the way down. We had to remove the filter and stick a vacuum cleaner in there to suck out all the lint.

Old 03-20-18, 11:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
My wife knew to tell me when the dryer was taking longer to dry clothes, that was my heads-up to go out and clean the vent because it was full of lint.

Old 03-20-18, 12:21 PM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Per the user manual

DRYER EXHAUST SYSTEM
Should be inspected and cleaned yearly to maintain optimum performance.
The outside exhaust hood should be cleaned more frequently to ensure proper operation.

I would disassemble the duct work, clean it and also clean the exhaust hood on the outside of the house.

Again lint being blown out the exhaust is not unusual.

Old 03-20-18, 12:46 PM
I have the same prob as the OP with a different dryer, but I'm surprised to see other people say that's normal. My current dryer is 10 years old, and just started doing that the last couple of years. It's a pain, but as long as you clean out the little trap (we don't have the flap style anymore since we changed our siding now it has a plastic grid that points down) it will dry clothes as well as it ever has.

OP did you recently change your lint exhaust type? Maybe when it was the old school flap design you (and I) just never noticed it? Hmm...

Vs.

Last edited by Capable_Wife; 03-20-18 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Added pictures for clarity
Old 03-20-18, 01:10 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
I'm in the camp of never having seen one that didn't do that. The only exceptions being ones where someone said their dryer wasn't doing a good job, so that's usually the first thing I look at, and sure enough the vent is plugged. And yes, our current dryer does have a lint filter, which catches enough that we clean it each cycle, but enough still gets past it to warrant cleaning the outdoor screen every couple of months and cleaning the rigid exhaust line about once a year, although I seldom get anything significant out of the line.

Old 03-20-18, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
I repaired dryers for many years and this is normal.

Old 03-20-18, 05:38 PM
G
Haven't changed the exhaust hood on the outside of the house. It's neither of the pictured kinds; it's a downward pointing hood like the second picture but doesn't have the trap.

The duct is not the problem. The problem is lint somehow getting past the filter.

So for the people saying this is normal, how is lint getting past the filter? Isn't this a fire hazard?

Old 03-21-18, 03:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Dryers are not air tight they leak, Lint gets past the screen, The less the screen is clened more lint will get around it.