Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Whirlpool Duet dryer still makes loud noise after replacing all drum rollers.

Old 04-05-18, 08:32 AM
J
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Model GEW9250PWO. Based on an earlier search for cause of loud grinding/thumping noise, I replaced all drum rollers and belt pulley. Put it all back together and it makes the same noise. I was surprised that I did not see any smoking gun with any of the old rollers I removed, but remember seeing a polished area on th OD of the drum, but didn't think much about it at the time. Now I'm wondering if the drum was rubbing on some other part in the dryer, but apparently not due to worn rollers. Could the felt seals on each edge of the drum that the rollers roll on have gotten compressed to the point that the drum height has dropped slightly, allowing it to now contact some other part when rotating? The motor turned very freely by hand, and I vacuumed out the blower, so I don't know what else could be causing the noise. Any thoughts?

Old 04-05-18, 08:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Where was the shinny part? Look at the top and see if it is dented down. Even a little it will hit drum.Felt are more of a seal than bearing. Don't think they will cause noise.

Old 04-05-18, 09:19 AM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
FWIW, my 30 year old Whirlpool dryer makes a thumping noise for a few minutes after it first starts up, then eventually quiets down. I attribute it to the rubber drum rollers "flat spotting" from sitting with the weight of the drum on the rollers when it's not running. Years ago, I replaced the rollers when the bushings wore and became enlarged. I agree with pugsl that it's unlikely that it's not the felt seal at the rear. The purpose of the seal is to make the drum semi air tight so that the heated air flows through the drum and out the vent and doesn't all escape around the rear of the drum.

Did the polished area on the drum line up with where the rollers contact the drum, or was it in a different spot? It's not unusual for the drum to get somewhat "polished" where it runs on the rollers. Have you checked the belt for any nicks or cracks?

Old 04-05-18, 10:52 AM
J
The polished area is in the middle of the drum, away from the rollers. I'll check to see if it could be skimming the top of the dryer. My thought on the felt seal was that maybe the weight of the rollers riding on that seal for years has compressed the felt such that the drum rides lower inside the dryer, possibly rubbing something under the drum. Has anybody seen this happen?

The old belt appeared to be in good condition, but I replaced it since a new belt came with the rollers parts kit since I already had the dryer torn apart.

Old 04-05-18, 12:11 PM
Received 1,052 Likes on 954 Posts
Have the same dryer, same noise, same repair, and still the same noise.

Maybe the factory rollers are softer but the root cause is the seam on the drum, it hits one of the rollers just right to produce the noise.

My fix right now is to just shut the door, if I really get bored one day I'll take the drum out and grind down the spot where the rollers touch.

Old 04-05-18, 02:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The thump over the rollers is a common noise. The shinny spot is usually caused by top hitting drum. Something heavy set on dryer will cause this. Something like a big soap container.

Old 04-05-18, 07:07 PM
J
OK, I took the top and lower panel off, and can see that the drum is not contacting anything it shouldn't, including the top since it still made the noise without the top on. The shiny spots may have been from original manufacture as they seem to be along a seam. By rotating the drum slowly by hand, it doesn't make the noise, but if I spin it fast, or with the motor turning it, it does.

I was surprised when I replaced the rollers that they don't use ball bearings--they just rotate with a small clearance on an axle, and the directions only said to clean the axle before installing the roller, not mentioning lubricating it.. So now I wonder if one or more of the axles have worn such that even the new rollers wobble on the axle at higher speed.

I've attached a link to a video I took, to capture the sound and to look at the rollers as best I could. I couldn't really tell visually if they are wobbling...if so, it's very slight, but perhaps enough to make the come and go rumbling noise. I expect oil or grease lubrication on the roller axles would just collect dust, but maybe I'll try graphite, which will require disassembly again...sheesh. I also learned that the rollers do not actually ride on the felt seal as I mentioned above, but on the metal drum just off the edge of the seal.

Any other thoughts after watching the video? https://youtu.be/Agd3xzrU9lA

Old 04-06-18, 03:26 AM
Received 1,052 Likes on 954 Posts
the root cause is the seam on the drum, it hits one of the rollers just right to produce the noise

Old 04-06-18, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That sounds like the blower wheel is loose on shaft. For roller axles to worn enough to make noise you would have seen it. In many years I have only replaced axles twice. Take blower cover off and see if it wobbles by hand. It should be tight on shaft. No lube on axle of rollers but I put a drop of 3 and 1 oil just to make me feel better. This is not a common problem with that dryer.

Old 04-06-18, 07:53 AM
J
Pugsl, that reminds me of another symptom I couldn't figure out...sometimes, the noise would continue for a second or two after the drum had stopped rotating. I thought maybe the motor kept turning for a second just slipping on the belt, but I ruled that out. But the blower impeller could be it! I'll check that out next. Is the blower impeller held on the shaft with a set screw or key?

Marq1, I checked out the surface where the rollers ride, but did not find any kind of bump to explain it. Plus, it is a new noise that just stared a couple weeks ago in a 10 year old dryer.

Old 04-06-18, 08:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Been retired for a few years but if I remember I will get back. Not hard to change if loose but sometimes we had to cut the hub off shaft. The way yours sounded it should just come off. I may remember wrong but I think it is held on with a left handed tread nut. here is the part # for blower wheel.
Sears has it for 36$ but it saw it cheaper at amazon.

Old 04-06-18, 09:57 AM
J
Yep, I looked it up, and it is threaded on with a knurled nut, that has probably broken free of the blower wheel. I read reviews of the part, and many described my noise, and it still remaining after replacing the rollers. Got the part on order...thank you very much for your help!

Old 04-06-18, 12:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Let us know how you came out. It may help somebody else.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: