Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Whirlpool icemaker struggling

MA

04-08-18, 04:38 AM   #1  
Whirlpool icemaker struggling

I've read some other threads about icemakers failing but mine is working, just ever so poorly. I hear the sporadic whirring noise, like it's filling with water, and the occasional drop of a few cubes but it's obvious that something is wrong. Fridge was purchased in 1999; water through the door works fine. What can I test, if anything? I'm not afraid to "throw parts" at the problem; should I just replace the ice making unit?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

04-08-18, 09:54 AM   #2  
On a fridge of that age... I'd replace the ice maker.
You can post the model number of the fridge for further help.

~ Pete ~

MA

04-08-18, 02:14 PM   #3  
Kitchenaid KSRS22F, thanks!

Name:  im1a.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  im2a.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  80.8 KB

Saw this one on Amazon:....
EXACT-REPLACEMENT-PARTS-ERWIM-Silver/dp/B0081E9NZU/

Last edited by PJmax; 04-09-18 at 02:50 PM. Reason: reoriented pics

Group Moderator

NJ

04-08-18, 02:49 PM   #4  
For pictures.... How-to-insert-pictures

That's only a group number.... not a complete model number.
That looks like it should work.

~ Pete ~

MA

04-08-18, 02:57 PM   #5  
It has some poor reviews; might be worth getting the Whirlpool part. KSRB22FHSS01

Group Moderator

NJ

04-08-18, 04:46 PM   #6  
That ice maker is an OEM part # 4317943.
You can google that part number and find ice makers everywhere for it.

I don't normally recommend places to buy parts but this particular one is the unit I use and from Ebay. I have bought many from different sellers. I've seen at least five years or better life. I have one in my Whirlpool. It's worked fine from day 1. It's well over five years old.

EBAY/4317943-Ice-Maker-for-Whirlpool-Kenmore-Kitchenaid-NEW-/161863198858

~ Pete ~

MA

04-09-18, 01:47 PM   #7  
Update: I've got a great appliance parts supplier locally and when I called to see if he had the ice maker in stock he wanted me to troubleshoot the solenoid first. While I hesitate to reveal the exact method with which he advised me to get 110 volts to the solenoid, when I did, I heard noise but no water flowed to the ice maker. He reasoned it was the solenoid(s) that needed replacing. $80 and an hour or so later I have the new solenoid installed but still no action from the ice maker. I suppose it's possible both the solenoid and ice maker were/are bad (especially with Mercury being retrograde right now)??

Also, my wife reports that items placed well to the rear of the refrigerator are freezing; might that be an indication of a bigger, or at least different problem?

For pictures.... How-to-insert-pictures
I had successfully uploaded the pictures, but the orientation 90 counter-clockwise. I deleted them, turned them 90 clockwise and reuploaded, but then they were 90 clockwise.

Group Moderator

NJ

04-09-18, 02:41 PM   #8  
If you heard the solenoid clicking.... it's working. That leaves two possible problems. A clogged screen at the valve where the water line connects or more likely.... you have a saddle valve connection from your plumbing system and the puncture point in the pipe is clogged. Sometimes you can firmly close the valve and reopen it to clear it.

The freezing in the fridge can be caused by a sticking damper or just something in the direct cold airflow. That shouldn't be something that affects the ice maker.

Not sure on the pictures. I correct many that are incorrectly oriented. I have no problem from my laptop. The problem seems to be with phone uploads.

~ Pete ~

MA

04-10-18, 08:27 AM   #9  
Not clicking I heard but humming, but I replaced that solenoid yesterday. No saddle valve but a full on, plumber-installed tap. I found some great YouTube videos on the subject. This one has some great diagnostic techniques:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCUgA5T5ASw

Then this one has a great cheap fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JOv9yK5gv8

I bought the whole front of the unit for under $20:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331295015486

Group Moderator

NJ

04-10-18, 09:29 AM   #10  
Yes.... the unit is repairable. I repair them all the time.
When they get older like yours... I replace them.

~ Pete ~

MA

04-13-18, 09:46 AM   #11  
Okay, my replacement Ice Maker Module came and I've got it installed. To help any future readers of this thread let me state that I had to remove the ice maker from the freezer first; I had poured water into it as a test and it was frozen such that I couldn't turn the ice cube ejector to line up the cam properly. I let it thaw until I could get the ice out of it and move the ejector freely.

So now that the empty ice maker is back in the freezer, the "how to" video I watched says I may have to wait up to 72 hours for it to make ice. Here's my question for you PJmax: should I jump the motor from T to H to get it started?

Last edited by eddieo45; 04-13-18 at 10:02 AM.

Group Moderator

NJ

04-13-18, 04:44 PM   #12  
You could. I'd let it just do it itself. It's usually 72 hours on a new fridge installation. As long as the water line was charged you should have ice already.

~ Pete ~

MA

04-16-18, 06:36 AM   #13  
Well, I guess your instincts to replace the whole unit were correct: the heater doesn't seem to work consistently so the ice cubes won't eject. I've warmed it with a hairdryer and the eject and refill, and one tray actually ejected on its own, but now it's stuck again.....

MA

04-17-18, 08:04 AM   #14  
....and the mystery continues!! The new icemaker hasn't yet arrived and the old one seems to have relearned how to heat up and eject the cubes! I may replace it anyway and either return the $20 front motor part I bought or just save it for when my other fridge needs it!

Group Moderator

NJ

04-17-18, 09:48 AM   #15  
That's the problem with ice makers. They can be finicky. It's one thing me working on mine or you working on yours but when it comes to working in a customers house... they want results.

I have a 25 year old Whirlpool fridge. Running great. I use a lot of ice. I had fixed/rebuilt the original one several times but I ended up putting it in ice maker heaven.

~ Pete ~

Search this Thread