Refrigerator Brands - Are there any good ones anymore?

Old 04-22-18, 11:19 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator Brands - Are there any good ones anymore?

I have a 12 year old GE side by side fridge with ice maker and filter that has been perfect. I am replacing all my appliances. After reading reviews on LG, Samsung, Whirlpool and GE, I can't find one fridge I would be comfortable buying today. Seems with all these new fancy and feature rich models, they all seem to have issues.

Are there any repair guys out here that get tell me where to turn for a decent fridge..

Thanks!

Old 04-22-18, 11:50 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
A lot of the problems with appliances today come from good old Uncle Sam, yep all that crappy energy star requirements have forced appliance makers to dramatically shrink compressors and motors to meet energy requirements.

Add that to a generation that thinks everything has to be connected to the web and you have very expensive crap being produced.

You will never have appliances like the old days that lasted 20 years.

It is sad that it appears the Korean brands are dominating the top spots, so much for made in the USA!

Old 04-22-18, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
Well put Marq.

It is very hard to pick a leader today as they all have their fair share of problems. Whirlpool was always my recommended brand but their quality and service is down in the dumps with the rest of them. In the past I was dead set against extended warranties but I feel it's a plus with these new fridges.

Old 04-22-18, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
The more crap and automation they have, the more problems you'll see (IMO) and many times fixing those kind of issues is nothing more than an Easter egg hunt...replace a board and see if it works.

I haven't purchased in a few years, but my rule is buy the simplest most un-feature laden (feature un-laden?) unit I can. That applies to washers and dryers as well. I don't need or want an appliance that feeds my cats, checks my blood pressure, and orders my groceries all while I sleep. I happen to have Kenmore stuff right now and other than a few parts just plain wearing out, they've been trouble free.

This is one of the times I'd go to Consumer Reports since they have such a broad base of people reporting issues they may have had. In contrast, if you just ask individuals in one area you may have few appliance guys who like LG for instance, because they may have less parts support or training. In another, LG may be the top selling brand who everyone likes.

Old 04-22-18, 01:34 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am seeing that trend in the reviews I read. More features, more doors, more issues. I see many reporting the compressor is loud and always running. I see the stainless steel people reporting the surface coating is peeling off, not covered by any warranty. I see issues for the units with the ice maker in the door, not make enough ice. I am fine sticking with just a side by side, like my 12 year old GE Profile fridge, but I can't even find good reviews on this!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: