Water not completely draining out of dishwasher

Old 05-02-18, 07:28 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Water not completely draining out of dishwasher

I have a dishwasher GE GLD4408R00WW and there is a pool of water at the bottom of the dishwasher tub.

I removed the bottom plastic thing with the two arms, then loosened a plastic nut, and wiggled free another piece, and this is what I have.

I know the filter is under that gray color piece right?

OK, now when I start a wash it goes through several cycles of wash rinse and drain. I can see the water shooting into the garbage disposer when it's draining. I also disconnected the drain hose from the dishwasher end and the disposer end, and I taped the end of a shop vac to it and switched it to vac mode then blow mode. I can feel with my hand on the other end of the hose the negative and positive pressure. I do not believe there is a clog.

That water is being jetted into the disposer I think the pump is working.

So why would it drain until the last few inches and no more? If it's a clog in the filter or somewhere else it would just drain slower or not at all but not leave a pool of water right?

So I am guessing most likely the float switch?

Old 05-02-18, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
No.... draining is a timed function. The float only stops the tub from overfilling when filling.

Link to exploded views..... sears parts direct/gld4408r00ww.html

Exploded pump view..... click on diagram for expanded size.
sears parts direct/PLDM/G1004246-00005.png

The drain pump is #325.
There is a flapper and seat that may be gummed up.... #328 & 329.

Be sure to run the disposer so that is clean before doing a load of dishes.
Also make sure the drain line is fastened up directly below the countertop to drain properly.

Name:  DDW.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  15.7 KB

Old 05-02-18, 08:45 PM
M
Ahhh I see, I was wondering if the pump drains on a timer or a float switch. That makes sense. Thanks.

So most likely my issue is inside that red circle. I will remove the gray plastic cover and see if the basket is clear. If not then parts 328 and 329...I think those two parts are on the underside of the DW? I wonder if I can reach those two parts from the filter basket inside the tub or do I uncouple it under the DW to check?

Old 05-03-18, 08:38 AM
Received 100 Votes on 86 Posts
I had a similar problem that occurred a couple of times with a Kenmore DW. The drain connection under the DW would get blocked by a cherry seed that was just small enough to pass through the filter and just large enough to block the hose. Some water would be expelled but a pool like yours would remain. On the first service call the technician showed me where and how to fix it (underneath) and I was able to do it myself after that.

I cannot tell from your exploded view if you have a similar situation but it may be possible. Item 325 looks like a separate drain pump. Check in the vicinity of both items 328 (inlet and outlet ports).

Old 05-03-18, 08:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
Usually the drain pump must be removed to access those parts.
I'm not sure how far you can down thru the sump.

Old 05-03-18, 04:37 PM
M
Well I removed all the interfering parts and shop vac the water out the bottom. I can see into the filter basket. The inside of that basket looked clean.

I saw some youtube videos saying the basket on GE DW can be removed by pinching the tabs on the side. But looking at the exploded view linked by PJmax I don't think this one can be removed. So I think I did all I can on the inside of the DW.

The pump is on the underside. Here is a picture showing the bottom. The mustard colored thing is that filter which I looked into from the top. I need to take apart the connection between that and the pump right that's where the flap is.

I am having a hard time accessing the parts, any harm is laying the DW sideway so I can disassemble it better?

Old 05-04-18, 09:29 AM
Received 100 Votes on 86 Posts
The outlet of the filter sump is connected directly to the drain pump. The red elbow is connected to the outlet of the drain pump. Remove that elbow from the pump by loosening the screw clamp and check inside. From the picture it certainly looks like the inside diameter of the elbow is larger than the hose. That is where something could get stuck.

You may be able to get at the screw on the clamp with a short or angle screw driver. You probably won't harm anything by laying the DW on its side but there may be some leakage to deal with.

You may be able to loosen the screw with a pair of pliers on the long part that is sticking up and then finish with fingers.

Last edited by 2john02458; 05-04-18 at 09:34 AM. Reason: additional suggestion

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: