Ice maker woes

Old 05-07-18, 02:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ice maker woes

Hi All, Our Kenmore Elite fridges ice maker has decided to stop working. The fridge is about 17 months old and is just over the warranty time by about 5 months. This is one of Kenmore's (Whirlpool) high end side by side refers so of course that means that it's gonna break only a little after one year. Anyway, the ice maker is one of the "Flex Tray" type in the door that has an ice bin that pulls out at the top. I've fixed/repaired many of the finger type makers so I am somewhat familiar with the common workings of those types of ice makers, but am wondering if there is something with this flex tray type that may make for an easy fix. The facts.....the fill tube is not clogged (iced up)....the tray fills with water and freezes but does not dump. The over fill swing arm is in the horizontal position and only moves up and down about one inch. I assume that this arm doesn't move until the flex cycle starts anyway..?? The freezer temp is set at 0 degrees. I removed the main cover and unplugged and re-plugged in all connections I saw just to be sure of contact. There is a on/off switch behind the ice bin along with a swing switch that is no doubt a switch that only allows the maker to operate when the ice bin is in place. I know this is a crap shoot for diagnosis, but am hoping that maybe someone has had experience with this same ice maker and has had the same problem.....Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-18, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 205 Posts
The over fill swing arm is in the horizontal position and only moves up and down about one inch. I assume that this arm doesn't move until the flex cycle starts anyway..??
That arm should be down in the ice bin..... poised over the ice. When the ice harvests...... the mechanism lifts that arm up to drop the ice. Then the arm is let back down. If the ice is at the top of the bin.... the arm will rest on it and cease harvesting.

That flex tray system sounds like the Samsung type.
Post the model number for the fridge. It will look like xxx.xxxxxxxxxx

Old 05-08-18, 12:24 PM
I appreciate your response. I hope and wish you were correct but I don't believe this system works like that. If the swing arm was always in the down in the ice bin then it would be in the way when trying to swing out the ice bin to access ice. I went by Lowes and looked at new fridges (whirlpool) with the same maker and they all had the swing arm in the up position. This ones a stumper. Theres so many different things that could be the culprit. Anyway, the model number is....106.51773510. As mentioned its a Kenmore Elite. I can't seem to find many sites that address this particular maker as far as trouble shooting goes.

Old 05-09-18, 07:22 AM
Heres an update on my ice maker problems for anyone that may ever have the problem on their Kenmore Elite refrigerator that has the "Flex" type ejector in the door. Ours just quit working period. After taking everything apart just to check that all was well, I turned my attention to the wiring at the bottom of the freezer door. Low and behold there was a small black wire that had been chaffed/cut in half probably due to the door being opened and close over time (poor design). Anyway, I spliced a new piece of wire into the bad portion and the ice maker is back and running. It was kinda hard to splice due to access and not being much extra wire to pull out, but it was doable.

Old 05-09-18, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 205 Posts
It doesn't always click..... ice maker in the door and hinge wiring but it is a common problem.

Good job.

Old 05-11-18, 07:23 AM
Thanks for your help PJ. Heres a little something you may find interesting concerning the swing arm. Of course don't take this as religion, but it seems logical. Apparently this particular swing arm does not ever rest in the down position if ice is needed. After watching it cycle it appears that this units arm will drop and go through almost it's complete up/down cycle before the tray starts to dump. A reasonable assumption would be that there is some kind of sensor or trip inside the maker that tells the tray how far down the arm went. Then the dump cycle will not start unless the arm goes down, lets say, 80% of it's travel, if this makes any sense. So in simple form, if accurate, the arm cycles up and down and then lets the unit know if it needs ice depending on how far down the arm went. Looks like the way it works....but not sure.