Dead Whirlpool dishwasher

Old 05-27-18, 11:54 AM
F
Received 23 Votes on 18 Posts
Dead Whirlpool dishwasher

My Mom's dishwasher died. All of a sudden. Now there is no response when you press any of the control buttons. No lights or any other signs of life.

I did pull it out of its hole to confirm that it was on the same switch circuit as the garbage disposal, which I replaced earlier this week, but I ran a load of dishes just after finishing the new disposal install. And I have checked the power wiring to where it disappears into the wall to confirm everything remains secure.

I've disassembled the control panel to confirm there is a thermal fuse. With such a sudden and complete failure, would you think this might be a thermal fuse gone bad or is it also common for the circuit panel to fail totally and without warning?

The dryer is a Whirlpool DU930pwsq1 built in 1996.

Regardless what becomes of the dishwasher, when I pulled it out from its hole, this was lying in wait:

Obviously a separate issue, but what should I do with this so it doesn't cause professional electricians to suck wind through their teeth when they see it?

EDIT:
On second thought, what's the harm shorting out the fuse with a jumper just to see if that restores power to the control panel? Could save me spending $25 on the fuse only to find out the circuit board is gone bad.

Last edited by Fred_C_Dobbs; 05-27-18 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-18, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 924 Votes on 863 Posts
Do you have an ohmmeter ? That's the easiest way of checking it.

If it turns out good then the door switch needs to be checked.

As far as the picture..... I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at. I see what looks like two pieces of NM-b cable there but no wires. Why ?

Looks like they're connecting ground to a different supply cable. That's not correct.

Old 05-27-18, 09:22 PM
F
I have a multimeter, it's the leads I'm missing. That situation should resolve itself ...eventually. So will a jumper do to check that the panel lights work?

The line running out the bottom of the pic is connected to the dishwasher. One of the two exiting at frame left is power to the garbage disposal. The other connects to the fuse box. Not surprisingly, this was installed by the same individual who installed the garbage disposal in my other thread.

...Looks like they're connecting ground to a different supply cable. That's not correct.
I get that much. What I'd like to know is how to put it right.

Old 06-08-18, 08:23 AM
F
It was the thermal fuse. I still haven't found the leads for my multimeter but I rolled the dice and ordered the part because unlike the door switch, the fuse is designed to fail.