Whirlpool Duet won't turn on

Old 05-27-18, 08:07 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Whirlpool Duet won't turn on

Was reading through an old thread here about lost power to Whirlpool Duet washers, and wanted to add a post. Since it was dated, it wouldn't let me, so I'm starting a new thread. I figured if anyone is looking to address the issue, they might find this helpful.

Have a Whirlpool Duet front loading washing machine - model WFW9400SW01. It would not turn on using the power button. The only button that would react to anything was the small "lock buttons" button. After reading through an old thread here, and others elsewhere, I took the top (horizontal) and bottom (under the door) panels off. Using the green tech notes (found inside the unit, behind the bottom panel, on the right side) I ran the diagnostic tests. They all ran, and I got no failure codes. That told me 2 things - everything had power, and the CCU wasn't bad. Then I took off the control panel face (which also surrounds the door) and pulled the control panel as far out as I could. It would only separate from the left and center, but that was enough. I proceeded to remove every electrical connector I could find, both connecting to the CCU and from the front control panel. After each one I tried the power button and "lock" button. Eventually, I identified a connector that didn't appear loose, but obviously needed to be reseated, because the power button, and every other selector, worked again. There are 2 white connectors (with blue wires) coming out of the front center control area, behind the center control wheel. After I reseated the bottom one, bingo.

In order to get to this point, I read through the other thread on this washer in this forum, others that came up from searching online, and watched a couple of YouTube videos on how to get the panels off. Without those I am sure I would have broken some plastic trying to get it apart. A simple Google search found everything I needed. The reason I am posting this is, NONE of the forum threads I found anywhere indicated the poster found a solution. Many replaced either the CCU or door lock, to no avail. In my case, the solution came free, by reseating all of the connectors, and trying the power button after each one. It did take all the others' failures to get me to try this, so I thank those who posted on this subject before me. Without those posts, I am sure I would have either purchased parts that would not have worked, or replaced the washer in frustration. THAT is why I thought to include what I experienced here. Hopefully, this helps the next person.

If you're reading this, good luck.

Jim Meadows voted this post useful.
Old 05-28-18, 12:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Thanks for the info. That step is easily missed.

Old 05-31-18, 07:36 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
An update to my post. The wires on the connector that brought life back to the switches are black and white (one white wire on top). I orig posted blue. I know because I had to reopen the washer. Lost power again. Not sure at this point if it's a bad wire, bad connector, or bad board. If it's the board it can be either the board behind the main dial, or the one it's connectors go into.

Either way, if it continues with this on again off again nonsense, the washer will be replaced. Replacing each suspected part one at a time until it stays fixed is too time consuming and expensive. Grrrrrrr.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: