frigidaire fridge when there is power shortage

Old 06-27-18, 05:58 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool frigidaire fridge when there is power shortage

I bought a new Frigidaire refrigerator Professional two-doors side by side.
The apartment power went off for 20 seconds and the refrigerator stopped working. I must be at home and press a certain button to turn it on when the alarm is heard.
The manual says "While a power fail is displayed on the control panel, the unit will continue normal operation. Press"mute alarm" to acknowledge the alarm. Other modes may be turned off until the alarm is acknowledged."

I called customer service to know which are the "other modes" and was told that the whole unit stops working.
Either the manual is wrong or the customer service does not know the product. I think it is dumb to have a fridge that does not work when there is a power flickering. What really happens? Is there a way to make it work if nobody is at home?

Old 06-28-18, 04:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 902 Votes on 830 Posts
We can't help much until you tell use what fridge you have. Post the model number and the pros might be able to help.

Old 06-28-18, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,524 Votes on 1,407 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question.

The fridge will not run when there is no power or a power failure. It will restart automatically when power is restored. There may be user selectable display or warning modes.

Old 06-28-18, 09:45 AM
H
Received 162 Votes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by jgonik
... The manual says "While a power fail is displayed on the control panel, the unit will continue normal operation. Press"mute alarm" to acknowledge the alarm. Other modes may be turned off until the alarm is acknowledged."

I called customer service to know which are the "other modes" and was told that the whole unit stops working.

I think you and customer service misunderstand each other.

New fridges have lots of "modes", "economy mode", "high humidity mode", "low humidity mode", "quick chill mode", heck even "Orthodox Rabbi mode (I'm not joking..)"

When you loose power, the fancy blinky-light modes turn off. When power comes back on, the fridge
simply goes back to being a normal "dumb" fridge.

The "modes" you have to reset are the fancy program modes, not the basic thermostat-compressor-chilling function.

Old 07-04-18, 01:48 PM
J
My fridge is a Frigidaire Professional.
This is what the manual says: " While a Power fail alert is displayed on the control panel, THE UNIT WILL CONTROL NORMAL OPERATIONS. The power alert on the control panel will be removed once the user acknowledges the power fail condition by pressing MUTE alarm. Other modes may be turned off until the alarm is acknowledged."

So I called Frigidaire to ask what do they mean by other modes.
To my surprise their answer was the following: "The owner guide states that In the event of a power failure, the power fail alert will be illuminated. Press alarm reset to acknowledge the alarm. Other modes may be turned off until the alarm is acknowledged. When the power fail alert is acknowledged, the refrigerator will resume normal operation.

I insisted: the manual says that the unit will continue normal operation for my model Professional.
The attendant said: No. All our refrigerators stop working until the acknowledge button is pressed.
So I sent them an email. I got the same answer in writing that I got by phone. The unit stops working.

Now I know what " other modes" mean. But I am perplexed. Is the manual right and the unit stops other modes after a 5 seconds power shortage but it keeps working on its " normal" mode, or the customer service is right and we better be present at home asap or the whole stuff inside the fridge will be ruined?

Old 07-04-18, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
The fridge will not run when there is no power or a power failure. It will restart automatically when power is restored. It will run when power failure is displayed on the screen. That is to alert you that there had been a power failure. That warning will stay there until you clear it.

You can test this yourself by unplugging the refrigerator for five minutes and then plugging it back in. It should start within several minutes.

Old 07-09-18, 10:39 AM
J
That was my position and what I read on the manual. It makes sense.

However, as I've explained above, two attendants from Frigidaire Customer care, via phone and e-mail, affirmed the opposite, that is, that my Professional model fridge will not work again until the button is pressed.

By the way, that is exactly what the manual of the non-Professional Frigidaire fridge states. Although it does not make sense, it says that a Frigidaire fridge will not work by itself after an even 20 seconds power shortage .

I am puzzled specially because one of the attendants was emphatic: No Frigidaire fridge will work, including the Professional model.

Assuming they are right, is there a do-it -yourself way to change it? Right now, for instance, I am in another country. I had to play safe and cleaned the fridge - I lost a lot of stuff because the trip was unplanned.

Old 07-09-18, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
In my previous thread.... I left you a test method.
As far as I know... there would not be a way of changing preprogrammed operation.

Customer service support people read from manuals and scripts.
Most have no idea of the operation other than what is listed in front of them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: