Leaking Kenmore Elite fridge

Old 07-04-18, 02:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking Kenmore Elite fridge

Hi All, Kenmore Elite problems....AGAIN !! Our 1-1/2 year old Kenmore Elite side by side refer (model 106.51773510) has another issue. It's leaking water from underneath in the right hand front area if standing facing the thing. I know how hard these things are to diagnosis in a forum so I am kinda grasping at straws here hoping to get lucky with someone having or being familiar with the same type of leak. About the only thing I can do is mention where it IS NOT leaking from. All fittings around ice maker are leak free. The filter has been re-inserted a couple of times to confirm a proper fit and There is no water coming out of or around the filter area in the top right hand corner of the interior. The collection tray in the bottom is not leaking. I can't get back to see if the drain tube is clogged very easy (if at all), but the leak is on the opposite side of the unit, but I do realize that water can run all over the place before deciding where it wants to run out. All tubes appear to be dry and not leaking. There is no bottled water inside the refer that is leaking. On a side note....the only way to see anything very good under this refer would be to put it up on some kind of lift so you could pear at it from underneath. Finding a leak in this thing could be very interesting as you just can't reach anything. Is there any way to check all the tubes that are running from filter to ice maker and to the water dispenser without peeling this thing open like a grape ?? Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-18, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
That's a Whirlpool built fridge. Please confirm the model number for me.

Old 07-04-18, 05:22 PM
Yes...and thank you......the model # is exactly as printed on the door.....106.51773510. I've done some more snooping and found that the leak is coming from under the bottom crisper <<<(old school term)...LOL. There is a evaporator back there behind the 2 crispers and under a vertical cover and there is water building up under that evaporator and running down under the crisper and through two small covered holes in the bottom panel of the interior of the fridge. I need to find out if there is a drain for that evaporator behind it before I go ripping it out to check for clogs. Theres a darn little fan back there too thats in the piece of Styrofoam that also covers the evaporator. We have been under an extremely high humidity level here in the St. Louis area for a few weeks now. I know this shouldn't cause the problem, but i'm sure it can't help. When i pulled the cover there was a lot of condensation on the evaporator and it was just dripping wet. We do tend to have our refer door open too often and for too long, but this still shouldn't be an issue. Does this "Common Man" info help...LOL.......Thanks

Old 07-04-18, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not at my shop right now but if there is an evaporator coil then there is a defrost heater and drain system.

Old 07-05-18, 02:22 PM
Thanks and understood. I did finally find the issue but am still somewhat ill-at-ease on the outcome. As you mention there IS a drain in the back of the interior on the little shelf that the evap sits on. I found the drain from under the rear of the refer after a better look. It is dripping freely now into the pan as i'm assuming that either one of two things happened.....while I was in the evap area I dislodged something clogging the drain, or it had iced up (unlikely) and since it got rather warm in the box while I was working on it it thawed any ice blocking the drain. My first theory is probably most accurate which of course means that it'll block up again unless I got lucky and all the crap ran down the hose which is unlikely. The dilemma now is checking for any clogging material. In order to get to the evap you must remove a plastic cover...then move a little S-shaped water bladder/bottle out of the way.....then you have to remove a large piece of Styrofoam that covers the evap. This Styrofoam also has a small fan in it that looks to be a B#$%H to disconnect electrically (real small connector thats hard to reach). I'm hesitant to get in and mess with all that crap in fear of damaging something else...LOL. What are your thoughts on using compressed air (soft low pressure) to blow through the hose from underneath, then go up and blow out the area where the compressor is sitting. Probably make a mess but that can be cleaned up.

Old 07-05-18, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
That could make a real mess. I normally pour 1/2 cup of bleach and a cup of hot water mixed down the drain tube.