Gas cooktop on granite sizing

Old 08-01-18, 08:46 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas cooktop on granite sizing

I have a granite countertop..I am wanting to change my electric cooktop for gas cooktop..my cutout opening is 20.5 inches depth and 29.5 inches width...

the new gas cook top i am wanting has required cutout of 28.5 inches width and 19.625 width...

the gas top actual depth is 21 inches and 30 inches wide..The unit should set on counter top but barely...am I correct this will work even though cutoff of my granite is slightly larger?? can it support its self??

Pleas help as I am getting many mix answers...any suggestions

Old 08-01-18, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

the new gas cook top i am wanting has required cutout of 28.5 inches width and 19.625 width...
Based on the word required...... my answer would be no...... it is not a proper installation.

Your opening is an inch wider and inch deeper than required. We wouldn't know if the flange on the cooktop would be strong enough to support the unit with the larger opening.

Old 08-01-18, 09:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You didn't tell use what cooktop you are considering so all we can do is guess. If the manufacturer says the size opening required that's pretty much what you go by. Other than that your on your own to see if it will work. Some cooktops have a body where the strength is then there is a pretty/cosmetic top or trim that makes up the outer dimension. It probably won't fall right through but it could slide or get bumped and fall through since the hole in the granite is too large. If centered there will only be about 1/4" around the edge of the cooktop on the counter. That's not very much. You may also notice the top bending or flexing since you might be supporting it by a non structural part. Normally you shop for a cooktop that will fit the opening in the granite. You can cut the hole bigger but you can't really make it smaller.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: