Brand new GE prodigy washer clutch hub spins but not the pulley

Old 09-19-18, 02:29 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Brand new GE prodigy washer clutch hub spins but not the pulley

https://youtu.be/fixp-6-qiGc

I just replaced it as previously only the spindle would spin. This is for the spin cycle It agitates fine, before and now. But now the new clutch hub spins, but not the pulley itself therefore nor the belt to the tub. I'm not sure if this clutch is defective or I just don't know how they work and something else is going on. If you have any ideas please advise otherwise I'll be washing my clothes like a settler back in the day. Thanks

Old 09-19-18, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
The motor shaft is in the center of the clutch. The hub and the pulley are turning in your video.
Post the model number of that washer.

Old 09-19-18, 06:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Sure looks like your belt is moving. But a chalk mark on belt so we can see if it moves Belt is on pulley, Need model # Just looking at washer that model the transmission usually the problem. Don't think I have ever changed that clutch in many years of working on washers.

Old 09-23-18, 01:26 PM
J
Hmm.. Not getting notifications of replies.

Well I returned it and will be getting a replacement. And no the pulley wasn't moving. Check the vid towards the end and you'll see the black sharpie mark stationary.
Model #:

Wpse4270aoww

And after taking it out I found that the pulley and hub were separated. Apparently they're pressed together and mine just busted apart from the belt pressure. Or... as pugsl suggested transmission problem... Is that under the pulley under the tub? Sucks if that was the case. Like if it was seized then that would cause the clutch to break? Hmm...

Manufacturer, or parts distributor said no issues with it so I just got lucky. We'll see on the next one...

Old 09-23-18, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
When you are in the advanced editor mode..... go down towards the bottom of the page and you'll see thread subscription. I subscribed you to this thread,

I'm wrong.... it certainly looked like the pulley was turning. Did you try turning the transmission with the belt off. I wonder if it's frozen.

Old 09-23-18, 01:42 PM
J
Thanks. I thought I subscribed when I created it. Guess not

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: