Whirlpool Gold French Door Fridge warm - freezer fine

Old 10-03-18, 06:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Gold French Door Fridge warm - freezer fine

My 4 year old Whirlpool WRF989SDABO2 started to not cool the fresh food compartment (except the deli drawer at the bottom) while the freezer is working as expected.

After digging into it, I found iceibuildup in the vents behind the deli/crisper drawers. I found two hex screws and took them out but still can't get the cover off - I'm not sure what else is holding it in other than the duct that moves cold air to the top of the compartment.

Either way, I can see that the fins behind the cover are iced up and if I stick my phone camera in there, I can see a fan that I have not seen spin (even with the door switches closed for up to 30 secs).

Any suggestions for what's wrong, what to replace, and if it's behind that cover, how to get it off?

Thank you!

​​​​​

P.S - I'll read up on to post an image so you can see what I'm talking about.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-18, 06:47 PM
Ignore this - deleted some image links that didn't work.

Last edited by jfinn; 10-03-18 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-03-18, 07:22 PM
Name:  IMG_20181003_205133.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  78.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20181003_205133.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  78.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20181003_202006.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  78.3 KB

Here are some images.

Attached Images  
Old 10-05-18, 03:38 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm not an expert but have intermittent ice build-up issues with our whirlpool gold french door fridge and have been managing it. Sometimes ice buildup can be caused by leaving the door ajar for an extended period of time accidentally. If there is ice-build up, it could be jamming the fan, so I would recommend defrosting to see if that resolves it.

Rather than climb in and take of the cover and defrost with a hair dryer which is a pain, I recommend running a forced Long defrost cycle, follow these instructions:

https://applianceassistant.com/Refri...efrost_Pg3.php

you can leave everything in the fridge during the cycle.

After you defrost, the fridge should run until it all ices up again.

You can then go in and see if there are other issues by first running a diagnostic and see if that points to a particular issue.

We had a service tech come over and believed our issue to be a faulty relay on our jazz board (but it seems to function fine for months and then our condenser coils will randomly freeze up). My sister in-law had a similar symptom with condesor coils freezing up. Their issue was a defective heater.

Old 10-05-18, 07:16 PM
Thanks for this, Tratts.

I got it fixed yesterday by a repair guy. He found that a wire had come loose from one of the molex connectors buried inside the thing. After fixing the wiring, it seems to be working fine!

He did show me the damper between the freezer and fridge - it was a bit rusty and stuck open - the part failed. I asked if he could replace it and he said it wasn't worth it since it's stuck open, I'd be wasting my money. Hmm.

They sure don't make 'em like they used to.

Old 10-05-18, 07:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 240 Posts
They sure don't make 'em like they used to.
You can say that again.

I'm guessing the fan is working again ? The fans are critical to keep the air moving.
Usually the thermostat regulates to the freezer temp and that damper allows air into the fridge.
Keep an eye on the fridge temp.

Old 10-06-18, 05:10 PM
Yep, the fan is spinning again.

I don't have much faith in this (or any) fridge anymore. I did put a little temp sensor inside the fridge .The sensor is connected to my automation system so I'll get an alert on my phone if the temp goes above 45 degrees.

It's amazing that the 20 year old fridge in the 85-15 degree garage just keeps plugging along.