Washer is ripping clothes

Old 11-05-18, 10:06 AM
Washer is ripping clothes

Hi there.

My front-loading washer likes to shred my garments. I've attached a picture of the type of damage it does. It also has been known to leave black scuff marks on and/or stretch the fabric (sometimes instead of ripping and sometimes along with ripping). I've googled this and there are lots of ideas about what the problem could be, but I'm not looking to spends 100s of dollars in replacement pieces and repair jobs that *might* fix the problem. Is there anyway for me to diagnose what's going on during these wash cycles that's ripping my clothes!?!?!

Notes:
1) It's been going on for 6 years.
2) It doesn't rip anything most of the time, but does frequently enough that it's a problem I need to fix.
3) I'm not 100% certain it's my washer (vs. dryer) doing the damage, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Thanks for your insights!
Rebecca

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-18, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
What is the make and model of the washer ?
Certain lines are more prone to this problem.

Old 11-05-18, 11:42 AM
Kenmore Elite
It says:
MOD. 110. 47791 701

Old 11-05-18, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have never seen that washer rip clothes. Look very careful in all the holes in basket. I have found nails that have gotten in there. Make sure the rubber boot is clean Look inside the folds for dirt. . Black streaks usually are dryer related The seals between basket and cabinet get worn out and can leave marks.

Old 11-06-18, 06:24 PM
The W shaped defect seems like a burn from the dryer while the other defects are straight tears and I guess could come from either washer or dryer.

Old 11-06-18, 06:46 PM
The problems pictured both tears (not burns or pulls).

I went through my washer and dryer with a fine-toothed comb and I cannot find anything for the life of me that could be ripping this (a la a nail, screw, etc.). Over the last 6 years I've looked, my ex-hubby has looked, we had a kenmore tech come out and look. Nothing seems out of the ordinary.

It sounds like the thoughts here are that the tearing problem will not likely be fixed by replacing the washer's bellow, which is one thing I've considered? And, how does it being clean relate, you think? Just curious.

Finally, this seems more likely to happen if the washer if fuller (than if it's a lighter load of clothes). Does that give any hints?

Old 11-07-18, 04:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The boot being clean is for black marks. Don't think it is problem but could. Would not be cause for rips. Look in dryer for a gap between basket and cabinet. It should be same all the way around and may see clean felt. A gap will let clothes get in and leave streaks and may tear clothes. Look in front and back as there is felt both sides. You did not give model # for dryer I am assuming it matches your washer.

Old 11-08-18, 09:12 PM
I've attached a photo with the dryer info. It is the match to the washer, as far as I can tell (these came with the house).

I've also attached a photo of the laundry's latest victim. This tear is more like what usually happens (compared to the clean cut of the blanket I originally posted), where it looks like it's also stretched as if it got caught somewhere and mangled as a result.

Any ideas?

Attached Images  
Old 11-09-18, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Dryer is usually the problem. It you look there is a streak leading to rip. Your dryer drum rolls on 4 rollers and it there is a seal failure clothes could get in there and cause this. may be hard to find. Here is a break down of dryer, Look under bulkhead and #21 are the rollers and 27 the seals. Just giving you this so you can see what parts I am talking about. I don't think problem is with rollers I have seen seals fail.
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mod...3/0151200.html

Old 11-11-18, 11:47 AM
Thank you!

I'll look into what it takes to replace this part.