Maytag washer: clicking or popping noise

Old 11-12-18, 12:35 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maytag washer: clicking or popping noise

Bravos XL Model MVWB980BW0 clicking noise recently started after retightening the bottom nut on the shaft which had loosened. The noise appears to be coming from the motor. It resembles the sound of a pebble between the stator and rotor. However, I have cleaned and inspected that area and found nothing.

Old 11-12-18, 02:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I guess you mean the center bolt that holds on the rotor. Did you take off the rotor and look inside for loose parts. If that rotor was loose enough it may have broken off something inside.That is a pretty strong magnet so pulls off a little hard.

Old 11-12-18, 03:49 PM
R
Yes, I removed the rotor to inspect for additional problems. That's when I found the shaft nut had backed off. Tightened the shaft nut, replaced the rotor then tightened the center bolt. Then the test run resulted in the clicking noise during the spin cycle.

Old 11-12-18, 04:02 PM
R
Let me be more descriptive. The initial issue was a code (don't recall it now) that upon research called for tightening the center bolt as I did. After 4-5 loads I had to repeat the process. ie; wash, rinse, repeat. That is when I decided to pull the rotor and inspect further. That pretty much brings us up to date.

BTW, thank you for taking the time to respond. I posted the same comment on 2 other forums. You are the only one to respond.

Old 11-12-18, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
There should be bolts under the rotor cover that hold the stator plate on.
I'm wondering if something is loose there.

Name:  maytag.JPG
Views: 3733
Size:  39.4 KB

Old 11-12-18, 07:12 PM
R
Thank you Pj. However, I put a new shaft and bearings in about 6 months ago. Had it completely apart. I understand what you are saying. I completely disassembled the bottom end in search of something amiss with no luck.

Old 11-12-18, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I wish I could be of more help. I'm not real familiar with that Maytag motor.

Old 11-13-18, 05:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have worked on many of those washer, can you post a video of noise. Where does the sound come from? bottom, top, basket area ? Does the sound happen if you spin basket by hand. Does it do it in a test spin? Retired 5 + years ago and am trying to think of answers for you.

Old 11-13-18, 05:58 AM
R
Thanks Pugs. I will post a video as soon as I can. The sound is defiantly on the bottom end. My best guess, with my Field Artillery hearing, is the motor area. FYI, I have removed the basket and inspected that area as well. The only thing I have not done is removed the shaft and bearings. The only time I hear it is under power during the spin. Hence the reason I am drawn to the motor.

Old 11-13-18, 02:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't think of anything in bearing area. You replaced it several months ago and if it was making noise there it would of showed up sooner. I have had many of baskets frozen on in tub, The only thing than to do is replace tub and basket.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: