Dryer stops early

Old 11-17-18, 10:36 AM
Upvotes Received: 15
Dryer stops early

I have a GE DHDSR46GG8WW gas dryer that is stopping before the load is dry. Usually happens with full load of towels. Dryer needs time to reset before it can be restarted.

In parts diagrams I see a bias thermostat that is mounted on the exhaust duct after the blower, and two high limit thermostats and a cycling thermostat at the back of the drum area.

How can I determine which of these could be causing the problem? Can I access the drum thermostats (from the back?) without taking the drum out?

I think I read once that chemicals in dryer sheets can coat moisture sensing thermostats and cause them to malfunction. This dryer does have sensing controls. It is not clear to me which thermostat is the sensor or if there is a separate sensor.

I have a DMM and am comfortable working with electricity. Just not sure how to get to the thermostats for service.

Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-18, 10:55 AM
You said it needs time to reset? Are you able to run maintenance mode to check codes? Another note, some settings may affect dry time depending on the dryer. I've had Sansung dryers that normal dry the sensors will shut it off still damp, so I'm assuming it's based off some wanting to iron clothes, etc. In that case, you'd advance to the next setting.

Old 11-17-18, 11:42 AM
This dryer is not electronic and has no maintenance cycle or error codes.

I found more info on Parts Select website. Most likely the cycle thermostat is not operating correctly. I think it is allowing the dryer to overheat and then a high limit thermostat is shutting it off. When the dryer cools down the high limit stat resets but the dryer has to be started again manually.

Although early stop is described as a symptom for each of the thermostats, cycle thermostat malfunction is the most likely cause. I have noticed times when the dryer was extremely hot while running.

Parts Select also has a video showing how to change the part. Unfortunately it involves removing the top panel, front panel, and the drum. A real PITA process.

Unfortunately there is no way to measure continuity on the thermostats when the problem occurs and by the time the dryer is disassembled they will have reset.

Old 11-17-18, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
Stops early do you mean it quits running or stops heating I don't think thermostats are the problem but need to know what stops mean to you.

Old 11-17-18, 02:10 PM
Stops running completely.

I realized that this was happening when I was near the dryer one time and it stopped without signaling the end of the cycle. When I went to take the clothes out they were still wet. I tried to restart and could not. I waited a few minutes and was able to restart again. This has happened a few times now usually with heavy loads.

I have not checked the circuit diagram but I think when a high limit thermostat is activated the entire process shuts down.

I am suspecting that the cycle thermostat is the problem because I would not expect it to have a reset. I think the cycle thermostat is allowing temperature to go too high and a limit thermostat is activating-shutting everything down then resetting when it cools down.

Old 11-17-18, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
"Needs time to reset" is not a common problem. The cycling thermostats only cycle the burner. They have no control over the machine operation. The is a high temp safety sensor but it usually blows open..... it doesn't reset.

Just to be sure...... the cycle ended with the timer in the middle of a cycle..... correct ?

Old 11-18-18, 03:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like motor is going bad. Does it make a groaning sound when it starts. m Waiting to start there is a overload switch in motor that opens when motor is to hot. Will reset after motor cools down.

Old 11-18-18, 08:00 AM
the cycle ended with the timer in the middle of a cycle..... correct ?
Yes, the timer is still in the middle of a cycle when the dryer stops early.

Does it make a groaning sound
No groaning or other strange sounds when starting or running.

Sounds like motor is going bad
I don't think so since this problem only occurs with heavy loads on "Cottons-automatic" setting. Does not occur in "Timed" (with same heavy load) or "Easy Care" settings.

I can't find the wiring schematic on line. Any idea where it will be in the dryer. Inside control panel? Inside top or front panel?

Old 11-18-18, 11:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your model # works if you change the # DHDSR46GG8WW to DHDSR46GG0WW . I have never seen a model # with a 8 there. There is nothing in the run circuit that could cause the dryer to quit in a heavy load except motor overload switch. There is a possibility of timer problem. That one if I remember right is a electronic one. PJ Max has better luck finding wiring diagrams than I do.

Old 11-19-18, 03:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 73
I'll just throw this out there, a year or two ago our dryer would shut down. The problem with mine was lint getting past the trap and causing the motor to overheat and shut down. I loosened the cabinet and used a vac to suck out all the lint - it's worked fine since then. Not saying this is your problem, just something else you might want to check.

Old 11-19-18, 12:07 PM
I bit the bullet and looked inside the cabinet. I did not remove the drum.

There was some lint built up in the blower outlet but the motor itself is clean.

I found the maintenance document tucked up inside the control panel. Unfortunately I scanned the same side twice so the schematic is once again safely in the control panel and not accessible here. I did not see any obvious t'stat or safety device that would explain why the dryer is shutting down early. It is possible that the drum outlet t'stat was affected by the lint build up.

Name:  d1.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  17.6 KB

Name:  d2.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  31.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-06-19 at 10:16 AM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 11-19-18, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thermostats do not cause shut down just heat stoppage. Only thing I can think of is thermal switch in motor.lint build up could cause overheating. Did you clean vent all the way to outside? .Most dryer problems start with lint build up

Old 11-19-18, 03:56 PM
Yep, vent is clear all the way to outside. Just have to wait now and see if the problem recurs.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

Old 11-24-18, 10:01 AM
First extra-large, heavy load dried successfully through complete cycle. Towel test will be next.

Old 12-04-18, 08:42 AM
Have now completed all types of problem loads successfully--towels, sheets, extra large load of heavy clothes. Looks like the lint build-up in the blower duct was causing the motor to overheat and stop the cycle.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Old 12-05-18, 06:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lint is #1 reason for dryer repairs. Most problems are heat related.

Old 12-18-18, 10:36 AM
The problem occurred again with an extra-large heavy load.

Although the lint blockage that I cleared out most likely contributed to the problem (causing frequent stopping), I think the extra-large heavy load is straining the motor and causing it to trip on overload. This is disappointing for a dryer that is specifically designated as high capacity but I can live with it.

Old 12-18-18, 02:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you can restart it after 1/2 to a hour I would say It is the thermal switch on motor.

Old 12-18-18, 04:50 PM
I can usually restart it after about 5 minutes.

Old 12-19-18, 03:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Motor has the only resealable switch. Just a little quicker than usual.

Old 12-19-18, 06:45 AM
Looks like spell check got you. You meant "resettable switch" right?

Old 12-19-18, 07:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes
resettable...............................................

Old 05-01-19, 08:50 AM
Still stopping early--big loads

My dryer still stops early sometimes while drying a large heavy load (towels, etc.)

Today I opened it up again to see if there is lint built up. While there I retrieved the wiring diagram.

The only safety that I see that would cause the dryer to stop completely but then after a short time reset and be able to restart manually is the motor overload. Is that correct? Or does the Safety on the Safety Coil have the same effect. I suspect that one does not automatically reset but how to tell?

Another part of the page shows a High Limit t'stat near the Safety and Control Inlet stats but I do not see it on the wiring diagram.

I am not able to upload the wiring diagram page due to attachment limitation: "You are currently using 9.58 MB to store 92 uploaded attachments." Is there a way to delete old attachments?

Here is the wiring diagram part of the page.

Attached Images  

Last edited by 2john02458; 05-01-19 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Added partial diagram
Old 05-01-19, 12:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only thing that will stop dryer and than restart after it cools a while usually about 30 to 60 minutes is the motor. Does the dryer groan when the push to start button is pushed? This sound is usually the first sign of a bad motor, did not see earlier posts but still motor.

Old 05-01-19, 12:33 PM
No groaning. Usually starts right up.

Everything is clean inside. No lint built up on motor windings or in ducts.

I suspect it is the motor but it works 90% of the time so not worth replacing yet.

Old 05-05-19, 12:48 PM
OMG--Lint!!!!!!!!!!

When I had the front panel off last I noticed that the outlet from the fan housing to the exhaust duct is a 90 degree angle. Thinking there might be lint built-up there I took off the exhaust duct at the rear to get my shop vac hose in all the way to that elbow. Not sure how much lint might have been there but cleaned it out. Then since I already had the duct off I proceeded to dismantle more and check all the way to the outside.

OMG! Cleaned out enough lint from 12 feet of duct with 4 elbows to fill a 5 gallon bucket. That's about 1/3 of the volume of the ductwork! Definitely felt significant amounts being vacuumed out at the two middle elbows.

Two heavy loads of sheets and towels today dried completely.

My apologies to Pugsl who asked about lint back in Post #12. I thought I had cleaned the duct recently from both ends but obviously didn't reach the two middle elbows.

I finally found the High Limit stat on the wiring diagram ahead of the Timer Control and the Start switch. If the High Limit or the motor overload opens, the cycle stops. (And since the gas valve Safety limit opens at a lower temperature than the High Limit the overload is probably the reason the dryer was stopping.)

So the lint blockage was causing either the High Limit to open due to high heat from insufficient air flow, or the motor to overload due to the combination of heavy load and resistance on the fan from the lint blockage (or both). In either of those cases the timer would stop in mid cycle. Now that operation is back to normal the timer is running to the end of the cycle and the clothes are drying.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 05-20-19, 10:18 AM
Question I don't get it

All types and sizes of loads are now drying completely. However for some large loads (even though fully dry) the timer is not reaching the end-of-cycle OFF point.

Today a load of 2 sheets, 5 pillow cases, 4 tee shirts, 8 socks, and 2 napkins fully dried and the timer did not move from the set position shown in the photo below. If I restart at the same point for another load the timer will run to the end. As far as I know a high limit, motor overload or door opening are the only ways to stop a cycle. What's happening? How can I test the door switch for possible intermittent opening?

I repeat the following information (so pugsl won't have to read the whole thread )

GE DHDSR46GG8WW gas dryer
Wiring diagram in Post #23

Fortunately since the clothes are now getting dry SWMBO has backed away from demanding a new dryer. We have only had this one for 9 years. I kept the last one going for almost 30 until the drum cracked.

Attached Images  
Old 05-20-19, 01:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Looking at wiring diagram there is a extra care control, and inlet control and outlet control that control timer. I have never had to deal with any of those and don't see any specs to check. It they are moisture sensors clean them with a cleaning fluid. Door switch is either good or bad never seen anything in between.

Old 05-20-19, 02:08 PM
Thanks @pugsl.

My dryer does not have the Extra Care feature.

The specs on the others are:

Biased Control Inlet: Open @ 210 +/- 5, Close @ 180 +/- 6
Drum Outlet: Open @ 135 +/- 5, Close @ 125 +/- 5
Trimmer: Open @ 165 +/-5, Close @ 150 +/- 5
Safety: Open @ 300 +/- 8, Close @ 260 +/- 12
Hi Limit: Open 315 +/- 10, Close @ 250 +/- 15

I don't think they are moisture sensors but there must be some combination of in/out that controls the heat and time and stops the dryer when the clothes are dry.