Kitchenaid KDTE404DSS0 - Flashing Start + Washing + Front?

Old 12-06-18, 11:35 AM
Kitchenaid KDTE404DSS0 - Flashing Start + Washing + Front?

Hello,
We have had this dishwasher for about 5 years or so.
A few days ago it would stop mid-cycle or so (haven't watched it long enough to say for sure).
I believe it is about the time it switches from wash to rinse.
There's a small amount of water in the bottom.
picture of the lights - should be attached.
I checked the water outflow an it was clear to the connector (whatever the sink vent thingy is called
The hose from their to the garbage disposal wasn't so good. I removed it and cleaned it out. Now it is flowing normally.

Any help as to what to check next, o what to look for when running the diagnostics would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Attached Images  

Last edited by wad4ipod; 12-06-18 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Title Spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-18, 11:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take the kick panel off and look around in there. There should be a tech sheet that will tell how to get into test cycle.

Old 12-06-18, 12:02 PM
Hi pugs. Thanks for the reply.
I found the tech sheet. Looks like 123,123,123 of any buttons will start it.
Once I start the diagnostics - What should I look for as to a code reference? Blinking?

Old 12-06-18, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Should tell you in tech sheet. If a display numbers will show, if just lights one or a pair will blink code.

Old 12-06-18, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Flashing Start + Washing + Front.
Front ?? You mean the blue light on the front of the unit ?

Typically a flashing start and washing LED is a drain problem. Then you said you had water left in the bottom. That would indicate that you do have a drain problem. It may involve opening and cleaning the sump area where the pump is.
Your setup has a vacuum breaker that goes thru the countertop or sink ?

Old 12-06-18, 08:32 PM
PJmax-
Front - Blue Light = Yes.
We do have a vacuum breaker - on the back of the sink. This in the past has spewed out water. Seems to me I have seen this (water coming out of it when the dishware is running) at various times in my life in others homes, etc. Could it be bad and causing our issue?

Old 12-06-18, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
If water comes out of the VB..... there is a clog between it and the drain or disposer.

Dishwasher draining is a timed function so anything that restricts or slows the proper draining will allow dirty water to be left behind in the sump.

Old 12-06-18, 09:51 PM
Pete,
Cleaning the sump area? Is this from the bottom (inside) of the dishwasher?
The removable screen components?

Old 12-06-18, 10:39 PM
Group Moderator
You can try cleaning it from the top. I see a filter in there.... #8 and screen # that you can remove to clean. The drain pump is #14 in the diagram and attaches to the sump from the bottom. There could be something stuck in the pump too. In the link below..... open the Pump, Washarm and motor tab.

Pictorial parts views

Old 12-06-18, 11:03 PM
I want to say thanks Pugs and Pete

Old 12-07-18, 04:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did cleaning it fix it? Thank You Pete is better on dishwashers and a lot more than me.

Old 12-07-18, 08:43 AM
Hi Pugs. Sort of - I guess.
When I began the journey to repair - I did find the water outflow was clear to the connector vacuum breaker.
The hose from thereto the garbage disposal wasn't so good. It was very plugged up. The wife was like 'GROSS'.
I removed it and cleaned it out. The water began to flow good. However - I was still getting the error code 8 >1 which translates to "Obstructed Drain Hose or Path". I checked the sump area and it was clean. I decided to fill the bottom of the dishwasher with hot tap water and run the drain cycle a few times. Thinking that it may 'flush things out'.
It must have done something. After this I would get an error code 6 > 4 which translates to "Float Switch Open".
I switched the dishware off at the breaker and left it off overnight.
Now the code I get after a wash cycle is started is: Error code 6 >2: Fill Valve Electrical problem.
- I wouldn't think filling the bottom with tap water would break this - but??

Could this unit need a new control board?
I did notice another thread here with a model similar was resolved by a new control board. That and the Link Pete provided to Sears Parts Direct showed 12% of problems like this were solved with a new control board.
Any recommended next steps - are much appreciated.

Old 12-07-18, 12:35 PM
To add. When I run a Normal Wash - It stops about 30 minutes in.
When I run Express Wash - It stops about 2-5 minutes in.

Old 12-07-18, 02:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
'Pete is DW man I mostly do washers and dryers. That many different codes could be control board. Pete should check in later,

Old 12-07-18, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
Have you run the dishwasher thru a diagnostics routine ? It may take a while as it runs thru all the functions at varying times. It also resets the board. I rarely come across a defective control board. Usually it's the keypad board that goes bad.

I can't say a board will fix the problem. I can tell you to get it from one of the online guys that offers a 365 day return guarantee.

Old 12-08-18, 12:48 AM
Good evening Pete,
thought so? Doesn't the 123, 123, 123 perform the diagnostics routine?
Is there something else that needs to be done/pressed to fully run the diagnostics routine?
Thank you

Old 12-08-18, 02:15 PM
Guys - I tink we have a solution.
What was interesting was - When running the Diagnostics Cycle it would stop early in the tests (after the error codes) just after the Express wash light came on. It would not continue.
The Mrs. and I continued to search the interweb for solutions, and/or like experiences/issues.
I discovered this (other forum) post for a Model very similar to ours.
Hopefully, it's not unfavorable to cross forum post?
Here's the link that explains these models have an issue with the exhaust fans.
https://www.applianceblog.com/mainfo...way-thru-cycle

I performed the test outlined by "Jake" in the forum.
I did of course after the test we did receive a 10>3 error code which indicates the exhaust fan issue.

I am now just about done with a complete wash cycle.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
:There has been a vent problem on some of these models, ie..KitchenAid, Whirlpool, Kenmore 665 which is made by Whirlpool.

So I'd first take the wires off the vent and see if it runs all the way through the diagnostics. Then see if it runs a complete cycle from start to finish.

If so, order the vent assembly.

Here's the vent assembly for your model:
WPW10469574 Vent

----------------------------------------------------------

Ok,

Look what Joe said:
I disconnected the two connectors on the vent fan and the diagnostics ran all the way through. I re-entered the diagnostic cycle and there were no error codes. So I then ran a normal wash and it successfully ran all the way through!
If you had no error codes, then run a complete normal wash and see if it goes through all the way, leave the vent fan connectors OFF, if it goes all the way through normal wash with the vent fan connectors OFF, then we know its that vent assembly I posted above you will need to order.

Let us know, sounds like we are making progress.

Jake
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the update, never heard of that one.

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM
You're welcome.
Sure appreciate your helping us 'doityourselfers'.
BTW: The wash cycle did complete. Ordered the part yesterday. I'll report back after the install to affirm.