What thermostat to buy for Kenmore Freezer c675-34160-2g

Old 12-13-18, 10:20 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What thermostat to buy for Kenmore Freezer c675-34160-2g

I have a very old Kenmore Freezer Model c675-34160-2G which stopped working. It's probably 50 years old workhorse and in my opinion this unit could run another 50 years. I know it is the Thermostat as there is no continuity on the two terminals of the thermostat at any setting.

My question is what Thermostat will work on this unit. The old Thermostat was a Ranco Type A10. I searched for it on the web but can't find anything. Even the parts store does not pull up anything either on the Freezer Model or on Thermostat Model.

I am not a technician but simple thing like this I can do myself. There are so many different Thermostats out there but I am not sure which one to buy. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 12-13-18, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,614 Votes on 1,486 Posts
I don't see any info on that unit at all. It could be because it's a Canadian built unit or it's just too old.

Ranco A-10 is just a type of thermostat. It's usually followed by more numbers that determine its temperature range. Here's one from amazon that would work. You just need to make sure the temperature you want is within its range. You also need to make sure that the capillary probe end is positioned in the same location to read the correct box temperature.

Ranco A-10

Old 12-13-18, 11:25 AM
S
Thanks Pjmax for the quick reply.

You are right because it is a Canadian unit and that is why there is no info but I did contact Canadian parts dealers and they don't have nothing either probably due to the unit being very old. I looked at the one you posted the link for but it is on the Amazon.com. I found the same item on Amazon.ca. The price is OK but the shipping is outrageous, over $100. I will keep looking but my question is do I have to go with A-10 only or A-30 will also work. I really don't know what the difference between the two is.

Thanks.

Old 12-13-18, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
There are subtle differences in mounting hole location, current capacity and swing.

You can use almost any thermostat you come across. It only needs to be two terminals with a cap tube of at least the same length and the temperature you need to control within it's rating.

Old 12-13-18, 12:25 PM
S
OK. Thanks. Let me see what I can find.

Old 12-13-18, 12:44 PM
S
Hi Pjmax. One more questions. Here are the numbers on the old thermostat:

VOLTS AC FLA LRA
115 13 78
230 65 39
250 6 36

What do these numbers mean and what temperature range should I be looking for considering the fact that the probe end is not inside the freezer but in the rear wall of the freezer.

Old 12-13-18, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
115vAC - 13A full load - 78A locked rotor.
Most of those thermostats will have similar ratings.
Are there any numbers on the thermostat after the A10-????

Old 12-13-18, 01:43 PM
S
No other numbers after A-10.

Old 01-02-19, 01:08 PM
S
I ended up buying RANCO VF3 with capillary length of 2000 mm. The freezer is back in action but I am not sure if the compressor shuts off or not. My freezer is in the basement and I have been checking few times a day and every time I can hear the compressor running. The thermostat has settings from 0 to 7, 0 being OFF position. I have set it at number 4.

Is there any better way to check if the compressor is taking a break or not. The freezer is running empty except for an ice tray and it has been 5 days now running.

Any idea highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 01-08-19, 12:11 PM
S
Hi PJmax. Any thoughts on how I can check if the freezer is going off or not.

Old 01-08-19, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 51 Posts
Your freezer shutting off has to do with whether or not the temperature gets low enough to satisfy the thermostat.
First thing I would suggest is that you put a reliable thermometer in the freezer.
For food storage you would need to be at least 0 degF (-18 decC).
If it is not getting that cold then don't worry about it shutting off.
If it's colder than the suggested temp then turn the control down one number at a time until the compressor cycles.

One other thing is to make sure that the thermostat probe is inserted in the tube where the original was as far in as the old one.
If only part way in it will not sense the correct temp and could be why it is not cycling the compressor.

Old 01-09-19, 11:31 AM
S
Thanks GregH.

I will try that and post back the results.

Old 01-14-19, 08:52 AM
S
Update:

I bought a thermometer and placed in the freezer. It was running at -21C with thermostat setting at 1 (0 is off). So, this is what I did:

1. Turned off the freezer overnight. In the morning it showed +15C.
2. I tried to push the probe as far as I could and I think it went in another couple of inches. Then turned frezer on at setting 2. After 24 hours it was running at -16C.
3. Changed setting to 3. Temp at -18.5C.
4. Changed setting to 4. Temp at -21C.
5. Changed setting to 7. Temo at -23C.
6. Changed setting back to 3. Temp at -18.5C again.

So, it seems that it was the probe issue. I have left it at setting 3 and it is working fine now.

Thanks PJmax and GregH for your help and advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: