LG refrigerator: icemaker line keeps freezing

Old 01-25-19, 12:17 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LG refrigerator: icemaker line keeps freezing

Hi,

I have an LG refrigerator, less than 4 years old. Over the last couple of weeks, the water line into the icemaker has started freezing up, right at the physical end of the line where the water comes out and flows into the icemaker. (Sometimes there's an icicle hanging from the end of the water line above the icemaker.)

Over the last couple of days, it has gotten much worse: Every time I defrost the line and clean it out with a weed-trimmer line, the icemaker will make exactly one tray of ice before the line freezes up again.

Is this likely to be a problem with the icemaker itself, or the water fill valve, or some kind of heater which is supposed to keep the line from freezing, or something else? I'd hate to order a new icemaker only to discover the problem is somewhere else.

Old 01-25-19, 10:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,845 Posts
Typically that's caused by a leaking fill valve. The fill valve is at the bottom back of the fridge. The water runs up a tube on the back of the fridge and then passes thru into the icemaker. The water comes in warm so it doesn't freeze and then stops. If it leaks..... the water comes in drop by drop and is frozen as it drips.

The valve requires pressure to operate correctly, Usually better than 40psi. If you are using a saddle tap valve..... it may be plugged.

Old 01-26-19, 10:25 AM
D
Thanks, that's very helpful. The house is new enough (2001) that there's a dedicated line to the fridge rather than a saddle valve, but we've also noticed that the pressure in the kitchen faucet (and even the master bath shower) is way down. Is this something I can diagnose/fix myself?

Old 01-26-19, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
I assume you mean help with the low pressure problem.

Kind of strange. Newer house should have copper pipe or PEX and shouldn't have any restrictions. Possibly a service valve to the area not fully open. If you have a whole house PRV (pressure reducing valve)..... that may be set too low or have a problem. I usually recommend checking the whole house pressure first with an inexpensive test gauge.

Pressure test gauge

Old 01-30-19, 06:28 AM
D
So I tested various places in the house and the pressure's all good... then I remembered the previous owner had installed a water filtration system under the kitchen sink which we'd never touched! I removed the cartridges, then changed the filter again in the fridge, and now we have ice! Thanks so much... you saved us a lot of time and money.

Old 01-30-19, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Good find. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

Old 01-31-19, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
I agree that it is likely the fill valve leaking when not calling for water, especially if there is no filter in the line serving the fridge.

To check remove the outlet connection of the valve to the ice maker and see if there is a drip from the valve.
Be prepared for a bit of water to come out when you remove the line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: