GE Side by side refrigerator freezer door leaking

Old 02-05-19, 11:41 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE Side by side refrigerator freezer door leaking

Hi,
We noticed water pooling in front of our 17 year old GE refrigerator. This model, ESS22XGMB WW, has a water/ice dispenser in the freezer door and I'm afraid that something in the door is leaking, since the water is not coming from the actual freezer compartment as would be expected if it was the drain pipe that was clogged. Also, the water is coming all of the time, not just during a defrost cycle.
Does anyone know if it is easy to take the door apart, and what might be leaking inside of the water/ice dispenser? Is it worth trying to fix, calling a repair person or should we just replace the old unit with a new one?
Thanks,
Ari

Old 02-05-19, 12:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
In order to confirm it's an actual water leak.... turn the water supply off for a day or two and see if the leak is gone. I have very rarely found the water system to leak. A plugged overflow drain is a much more common problem.

Old 02-11-19, 07:50 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggesting. Turning off the water supply stopped the leaking so it confirmed that it is not a plugged overflow drain. The next question is whether it is worth it as a DIYer to take the freezer door apart to see if I can find the leak. I can get a replacement for the tube which runs from the bottom front of the freezer door up to the water dispenser, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to take apart the door and replace the tube. Anyone have any suggestions on that?
Thanks
Ari

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: