GE Dishwasher not draining.

Old 04-05-19, 07:42 PM
GE Dishwasher not draining.

SO, my dishwasher, Model #GDT580SSF7SS, ran a cycle the other day and the water didn't drain out. I ran it another time and it seems like the cycle shut off and the water still didn't drain out. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-19, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
That dishwasher uses a separate drain pump. You'll need to determine if it's running. You may be able to hear it if you remove the front kickplate. I'll usually reach in or use a dowel to rest against the motor and near my ear to hear if it's working. You may have a clog in the sump or in the drain line. If I determine the pump motor is running..... I'll carefully remove the drain hose. There will be water here. You may have to pull the machine out to get to it. Sometimes you can reach underneath.

BE CAREFUL...... there are live connections under the unit. Don't stick your hands in there blindly.

In the link..... under the "sump and motor mechanical" look for part # 325. That's the pump.
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mod...2/0130000.html

Last edited by PJmax; 04-08-19 at 05:48 PM. Reason: repaired link
Old 04-08-19, 06:49 AM
Pj, Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. So, the drainage issue seems interment to me. This am, there was some water in the bottom. I decided to take the the drain apart and clean it out. Not alot of stuff in there, BUT I noticed this plastic piece at the bottom. Should that be there. It was pretty well stuck in there. Once again, thank you.

Attached Images  
Old 04-08-19, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
I fixed the broken link in my first post. The following two links are from that fixed link. Open the link and then click on the diagram for a large view. I don't recognize that piece by the arrow and don't see it in the diagrams. It'll probably be the lower sump you need to look at it.

Upper sump
Lower sump

Old 04-12-19, 09:13 AM
@ pjmax, so I took the front kick plate off. I put a wooden ruler(thanks for the idea) against the drain pump. It is doing something(louder type hum noise, no water flowing). I am going to venture to say the pump is shot. Any last minute advice before I order a new one? Thanks!

Old 04-13-19, 05:44 PM
UPDATE: Replaced the drain pump and everything seems to be working. Thanks!