WFW72HEDW0 Whirlpool Duet Washing Machine F9 E1 Drain Pump Error

Old 04-05-19, 07:46 PM
WFW72HEDW0 Whirlpool Duet Washing Machine F9 E1 Drain Pump Error

Hello! I have a problem with our front load washing machine that I haven't been able to solve yet.

Our +/- 5 year old Whirlpool Duet washing machine shuts down with about 10 minutes left in the wash cycle and displays error code F9 E1 quite regularly (at least once every 5 loads).

So far I have tried:
1. Removed top/front to access drain filter. Found some built-up slime, but nothing major (cleaned out the drain filter).
2. Removed all hoses and checked for clogs; cleaned them all out thoroughly before replacing.
3. Removed drain pump and tested w/120V AC; pump works fine. I've put the drain in a bucket during wash cycles and a good flow of water is ejected from the drain hose during spin/drain cycles, as expected.
4. Removed air dome/trap and cleaned out thoroughly (there was a small amount of slime in the trap)
5. Cleaned out the drum drain when I removed the pump and it was fairly clean.

Alas, the problem persists. Note I have no problem when I run a cleaning cycle with an Affresh tablet and when we run a quick clean cycle the error never seams to occur.

Any ideas what I should do?
- replace air trap?
- replace circuit board?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-19, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
A semi-helpful bulletin in regards to your long drain fault code.
Whirlpool F9E1 code help

My forum partner may have additional information.

Old 04-05-19, 08:15 PM
Thank you for the bulletin.

The drain hose end is 36 1/2" from the floor, so I'm just above the required threshold.

I neglected to mention in my original post that we use HE detergent (which is indicated) and have not changed anything to the system/detergent in the 5+ years that we have owned the machine.

Old 04-06-19, 04:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
First thing I thought of is not using HE soap but you said you are. Are you using to much? I always said to use 1/2 of the amount listed. Second thin g is the impeller loose on shaft of pump. Hard thing to check as it will look good. I would replace pump before board.Here is something I found.
Whirlpool Duet Washer Error Code F9 E1 Long Drain

Old 04-07-19, 06:26 PM
Reporting back:

I don't think that we're using too much HE detergent. We've been using HE pacs from Costco for the last 5 years, they are about 1 TBSP each.

Pump works great and the resistance across the the terminals is within spec. Impeller appears to be fine- there is a good flow of water ejected out of the drain tube during the drain cycle.

I'm going to run a few cycles tonight and time the drain time. The bulletin indicates that if the drain time takes longer than 6 minutes the computer will turn the valves off and kill power to the drain pump. F9E1 will be showing if the washer is not draining properly. Drain time should not take more than 2 minutes when draining correctly.

Also, from the bulletin instructions:
• I've checked that the drain hose is not blocked or kinked.
• I've made sure drain hose has an air gap for ventilation and is not vapor locked.
• I've made sure the drain hose height does not exceed 96" (2.4 m).
• I've checked drain pump filter and cleaned it of foreign objects.
• I've checked connections from tub to air trap, air trap to pressure hose, and pressure hose to water level sensor.
• I've checked made sure that there are not excessive suds in the washer.

Question, could the water level pressure switch need to be replaced?

Old 04-08-19, 03:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
About 6 years out of date since Before I retired we replaced a lot of pressure switches, can't remember if it was for your symptoms. Cheaper than a control board. Post model # and will look up washer to see if it will jog memory.

Old 04-08-19, 04:56 AM
Model # is WFW72HEDW0.

Is Manufacturer # WPW10448876 the correct part number for the pressure switch?

Old 04-09-19, 04:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hate what Sears has done to there site. Yes that is the switch, I found one at amazon for 32.$

Old 04-09-19, 08:53 AM
I've ordered the replacement pressure switch and will install it tomorrow soon after it arrives. I'll post the results to this thread in case any else has this same error code and has passed through the same diagnostic/troubleshooting path as I have.

Also, I should have mentioned in earlier posts that when testing the pump, the resistance across the terminals measured 15.5 ohms for me. The pump operates with 120V AC applied and the impeller appears to be totally fine (the pump throws out a very good flow of water in the drain line).

Old 04-12-19, 06:26 AM
Update

I began a series of loads to time the drain cycle to assure that the pump was operating properly. I expected some successful cycles, as well as some failures. Every drain cycle completed in <6 minutes, which I understand to be the norm. Perhaps this is good news, and Iím certainly not complaining, but now I cannot get the F9 E1 error code to manifest. Problem solved, I guess, but the frustrating thing is that I donít know what it was that fixed the problem, just as I donít know what it was that caused the problem. I havenít replaced any components yet. I guess Iíll keep the pressure switch and air trap on hand in case they are needed in the future.

Old 04-12-19, 09:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Next time you have the top off blow through the pressure switch hose. It may have soap stuck in there.
Don't know
how I turned the underline on.