Kenmore Fridge Randomly Shutting Off & Turning Back On

Old 04-11-19, 05:08 PM
Kenmore Fridge Randomly Shutting Off & Turning Back On

I have a Kenmore Elite Fridge. Model 596.78576803

The past few weeks, itís been randomly shutting off (no cooling, no noise, no lights, no LED temp displays) a couple times a week. We can fix it 100% of the time by just opening the fridge and waiting about 5 seconds and everything will come back on and it begins to cool. Our fear is that if we donít open the fridge, itíll just stay off and all our food will go bad. Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-19, 10:21 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you. I've been trying to determine what could cause your problem. Typically it would appear to be a problem with the control board on the back of the fridge. That board has been known to go intermittent or fail but opening the door doesn't usually affect it. Unplugging the fridge for a few minutes would reset the logic which may or may not help.

There should be a tech sheet either behind the kick plate or in the back by the compressor if there is no kick plate. It will be folded and in a small plastic bag. It should have a diagnostic routine you can run the fridge thru that may pinpoint a problem.