Kenmore elite french door not cooling... compressor?

Old 05-17-19, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Arrow Kenmore elite french door not cooling... compressor?

Hello,

I am the not so proud owner of a kenmore elite 795.74022.411 french door bottom freezer refrigerator. It has been a problem since the beginning but I've been able to fix the problems until now. It's about 3 years old and has suddenly stopped cooling at all.

The wall in front of the evaporator was not cold, so pulled it out of it's spot and took the back panel off. The compressor is running but the suction line is room temperature and the pressure line is barely any different than room temp as well. I guess this would mean there is a low refrigerant issue or a bad compressor.

After reading about this unit, it looks like many many people are having problems with this new scroll compressor and apparently they go bad in 2 to 4 years on average. The compressor is under warranty if that's the problem. That's fine and good but the service call and labor are not covered and I'm likely looking at 3-500 for getting the work done and then I can expect another 2 to 4 years before having to go through this again. Not to mention, it's going to be a week and a half before they can get my unit checked out and the they're going to have to order whatever and I'll have to wait some more for that.

Now, I spent over $3000 dollars on this because I want quality and dependability. This was supposed to be a very efficient, quiet, dependable appliance. Looks like that was a load of BS. I love this refrigerator as far as aesthetics and space, but if it's going to go bad every few years, I'd rather toss it and stay away from these products in the future, except I'm back at the mercy of the marketing wolves.

So, here's my question(s)... Is there a way for me to determine if the compressor is indeed the culprit without putting in a tap so I can check pressures? Also, can anyone recommend a standard type compressor to replace the current one so that I can relax knowing I have a decent unit that I might be able to depend on for several more years? Will a standard compressor work with this setup? I have HVAC skills (ASE cert) and some gauges and vacuum pump, I can do the work if automotive equipment will work with this. I'm not sure which refrigerant to use with it, I have heard 134a works with it. I may forego the warranty and convert this to a normal compressor if you guys think it makes sense.

Sorry so long winded, thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-19, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
A fine LG built appliance. Unfortunately..... or fortunately I don't work on them.

LG's linear compressor is a type of digital inverter compressor that varies the speed based on the load. They do have problems with the compressor as well as the inverter control board.

Also from what I've been reading on a tech site.... they're having issues with clogged capillary tubes. It was claimed that it was due to an aluminum condenser coil but I'm not sure I'd believe that.

There are many hurdles to cross putting in your own compressor. That fridge is all electronic and designed to vary the compressor based on its sensor readings. Another hurdle is matching the capillary tube. Without the refrigerant flow controlled to match the evaporator and compressor..... it won't operate correctly or freeze over.

I have this tech sheet which describes basic testing and testing of the compressor circuits.
LG_842418212.pdf

Old 05-18-19, 12:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thank you, I'll keep that info handy for the future. Sounds like it would be an engineering feat and I'm not proficient enough in this area for that. I was hoping it would just be a matter of compressor style and the rest would be the same.

I detect tongue-in-cheek with the fine LG appliance comment. I don't think anything is good anymore. My fairly new Kitchen Aid dishwasher is going bad... control board problems. My Samsung tv went bad in 2 years, my Kenmore Oasis washer went bad in short order, Whirlpool microwave, Frigidaire freezer (another control board problem), and so-on. I wish you could buy regular non-computerized appliances in the nicer large capacities with the better features. My fridge has a WiFi diagnostic ability that isn't even supported anymore, 3 years after it was made. We can't make anything reliable anymore. I guess I just have to deal with it and let them come put a compressor in.

Old 05-18-19, 12:06 PM
Group Moderator
You know what happened....... we...... the American public wanted cheaper appliances. The bulk of the manufacturing was shoveled off to overseas and we got our wish. Cheaply built appliances. The off-shore quality control is just not there.

cheese liked this post.