Stacked Washer Dryer Shake During Spin

Old 05-29-19, 07:35 PM
Stacked Washer Dryer Shake During Spin

I have a new LG 27 inch stacked washer and dryer that was installed on a vinyl floor over gypcrete in an alcove in a third floor condo. When the washer goes into spin, the dryer shakes and squeaks. I had a different 27 inch LG model (WM4370), had the same problem and thought there was something wrong with the drum and returned it. It got so bad that within one week the drum was banging on the door and it looked like the door was going to fly off. I am on a second LG model (WM3700) and am having the same shaking and squeaking of the dryer. None of the installers have leveled the washer with a level. They all have stated that for minimum vibration the legs should not be extended. The stacked unit does not rock when I push it diagonally and works fine during the wash cycle. I have the shipping bolts and assume the foam block was removed (but I have no way of checking). I doesn't appear that the washer is moving on the floor when spinning. My neighbors on the third floor have LG and Whirlpool stacked units and do not report shaking. Therefore, the floor should be sturdy enough. Prior to the LGs, I tried a 24 inch GE which also had a balancing problem and wouldn't go to full spin that I returned. I previously had a 20 year old stacked 24 inch Kenmore front loader that spun at 1300 rpm and a gas dryer with no problems. The previous washer was a 3.1 cu ft and the new unit are 4.5 cu ft so maybe the machines are getting unbalanced with the small loads. Is there something more I can do or would a laundry center with a top loader be a better option given the problems with the new front loaders?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-19, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

None of the installers have leveled the washer with a level. They all have stated that for minimum vibration the legs should not be extended.
While it may not be important to be 100% level..... all four feet MUST touch the floor.

There are certain models known for vibration problems. That doesn't appear to be one of them.

LG washer vibration video

Old 05-30-19, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The way I have always stopped shakes(laundry mechanic for years) Is to put 3 or 4 wet towels in washer. Throw away your level Doesn't help. Wait till washer gets to high spin, Adjust one of the easiest front leg either up or down until it smooths. Could take as little as a 1/2 to 3 or 4 turns. Turn adjuster slowly and it you are going i n right way you will see it smooth out.

Old 05-31-19, 11:08 AM
Thanks pugls. It creates a racket for about 10 seconds at about the 10 minute mark and 1 minute mark when it is increasing and decreasing spin. During the time in between it is ok. Do I loosen the upper nut and turn the lower nut until the noise stops. Then tighten the upper nut. The legs are as low as possible right now so they should only move one way.

Old 05-31-19, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
Yes...... that is correct. It sounds like the legs are in the "up" or shipped position.
Once you loosen the top nut.... you can run the foot down by hand until it just touches the floor.

Old 05-31-19, 01:01 PM
The legs are firm on the floor now and the washer doesn’t rock when I push it. I’ll try to adjust it a little and see if it helps.

Old 05-31-19, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can't do much about rocking going up to high speed.This only works at high speed. The intermittent speeds will always rock a little.

Old 06-04-19, 02:01 PM
Since I am on the third floor it is possible my floor is not stable enough. My building was built in 1989. I don’t feel vibration in the washer legs or on the floor when I touch the floor during spin. Is there a way to test if the floor is bouncy? My 20 year old Kenmore (made by Frigdare) stacked front washer and dryer was very quiet during full spin but the dryer sat directly on the washer and was attached in back. The LG set has a gap between the washer and dryer and is attached by only the dryer feet. The new washer is 30 lbs lighter but may be heavier when operating because it has a bigger drum.

I put towels in the door frame around the dryer to brace the dryer on the top and that helped with the dryer shake. The only problem is the frame is only four inches and then it is open in back so the front would be braced and the back would not and I was not sure if it would create torque on the dryer. I saw online that some people put pool noodles in between the walls to dampen vibration.

Old 06-04-19, 03:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Put a glass with some water in it. Set on floor about 2 foot away and see how much the water shakes. Small shake is ok but water bouncing is not.