Fridge not cooling. checked everything, Did I miss?

Old 05-31-19, 11:55 AM
Question Fridge not cooling. checked everything, Did I miss?

I've been wresting with my Amana SXD26VW side by side. I know it's old, but I'd really rather not buy a new one. I still need to install a new pool pump motor this season! The symptoms led me down this path; First I cleaned the condensor coils (very dirty. disgusting, actually), then I was led to check the Compressor Start Relay. I tested and changed it. The compressor starts up fine and runs. The freezer still not getting down to temp. I then checked the t-stat on the evaporator coil. It's good. I did notice that the coil had ice only on the top 1-2 coils. No where else. I then checked the defrost timer. Good. Temperature controls....Good. It seems like I might have a bad compressor. This is beyond my skill set and tool box. I'm a cheap s.o.b,, so I'm hoping that one of you all might have one other suggestion. Would it be possible that the ice maker is causing problems?We don't use it and the water line has never been hooked up (a long shot, but I decided to ask anyway).

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-19, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I did notice that the coil had ice only on the top 1-2 coils. No where else.
The coil should frost evenly.

What you are describing is a low on refrigerant problem. A possible slow leak.
Rarely a problem that can be repaired reliably.

Old 05-31-19, 01:34 PM
Thanks Pete. Thank you for the Welcome, and the input. I must face it. The thing is old. If I had remembered to clean those coils a year ago, heck, 6 months ago, I'd probably be okay. When we get the new one, a calendar reminder will be set on the phones!

Old 05-31-19, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
Cleaning the condenser under the unit helps the unit to run more efficiently but there isn't much of a way to stop a leak by cleaning.

Old 05-31-19, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
When a tenant calls to say they're fridge isn't cooling, we go over with the shop vac and clean everything. If they call again, we call the store and order them a new fridge. Just not much repair work you can do any more which is cost effective when they don't work.