Ice maker in Maytag refrigerator not working

Old 06-03-19, 08:50 AM
Question Ice maker in Maytag refrigerator not working

I moved in to a new place and found the Ice Maker in the fridge MAYTAG Model MZD2766GES might not work. I put down the level bar which turn the ice maker to the ON position(but I heard no sound right after the switch, is that expected?), but I saw no water coming out from the water valve after 10~15 minutes. I kept it ON for another hour, no water no ice.
I followed the Youtube video(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PRQWoxTtLg) to test the water valve, by short the "V" and "L" whole. The water came out a lot and I had to use paper tower to wipe out the fridge but that might prove the water valve is functional(I guessed).
Any idea why the ice maker is not working? A broken switch(the bar) or something else? Please advise. Thank you!

Attached Images  

Last edited by beeth2006; 06-03-19 at 08:52 AM. Reason: updated picture
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-19, 10:19 AM
How long had the unit been plugged in when you checked it? Was the freezer cold? Can't say with 100% certainty, but believe that the unit has to be cold for the icemaker to start cycling. If it has been turned on say at least overnight, and still not working, the next thing I would do is replace the filter. Sounds like you have pressure to the valve and that it is working, but the water still needs to go through the filter, so could be a restriction there.

Old 06-03-19, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the reply Pedro.
The fridge has been running for months, and the freezer of it is cold enough and could turn water to ice(I tested by putting a bottle water in the freezer).
Why changing the filter? The water filter in the fridge side? I could press the water button on the fridge to get water, and I tested the water valve in the ice maker by shorting the "V" and "L" holes. What did you mean "restriction"? Please advise the detail. Thanks again!!

Old 06-03-19, 11:28 AM
Why changing the filter?
I asked myself the same question a month or so ago. The water supply was fine, the water dispenser worked fine, but our Maytag had quit making ice. So two days later, after my wife suggested the filter at least a couple of times, I replaced the it, mainly to appease her, and lo and behold the ice basket was full again by the next day. I can't guarantee the same results, but that's all it took for ours.