GE refrigerator water low flow issue.. ?

Old 07-09-19, 01:22 AM
GE refrigerator water low flow issue.. ?

We have a ~2 year old GE refrigerator with internal water dispenser (inside the fridge, not in-door). On day one the water dispenser gushed out water at a phenomenal rate. But over time the rate at which it dispenses water has slowed and slowed. Today it flows at a very restricted amount- takes about 60 seconds to fill one cup.

Replacing the filter doesn't seem to help (we replace it every 6 months)- during the initial multi-gallon flush after replacing a new filter the flow seems to increase a small amount only to slow back down again after the first day of the new filter.

Any thoughts as to what to investigate?

The filter is a type "RPWFE".

Thanks for any thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-19, 03:56 AM
You need a shutoff valve in the refrig water line to do the following.Shut off water line valve. Disconnect water line going into refrig and place in bucket. Turn shut off valve on. If flow is good, problem is in refrig (call a refrig repairman). If flow is not good, disconnect the refrig water line at shut off valve (after turning valve off). If flow is good (after turning valve on), problem is in the refrig water line. Try blowing line out with compressed air. If flow is no good. problem is with shut off valve or upstream. Proceed further into the water supply if you have the skill level or call a plumber.

Old 07-09-19, 05:06 AM
How is the water line tapped into the main water line?
If someone used a saddle valve instead of a real ball valve, that would be one place I'd be checking.
A saddle valve only has a tiny hole and often plug up or leak.
Also make sure there's no kinks in the line from the valve to the fridge.

Old 07-09-19, 06:46 AM
during the initial multi-gallon flush after replacing a new filter the flow seems to increase a small amount
If all else fails, you can purchase a bypass plug that allows the elimination of the filter!

Your description seems like the filter may be part of the problem!

BTW are they cheap replacement filters?

Old 07-09-19, 07:33 AM
Filter

I have been using the $40+ GE filters. Iíve gone through 4 filters and news ones donít really change the situation except for while pushing the recommended 5 gallons through after initially attaching one- during that flush the flow seems to speed up some by the end of the flush, but is back to slow by the next day.

I will try the bypass plug and see what happens- the owners manual says GE.will send me a free bypass plug if I call them so thereís definitely no harm in trying that.

thanks!