Dirty film on fridge wall.

Old 07-20-19, 12:36 PM
Upvotes Received: 8
Dirty film on fridge wall.

Hi All, we have a dirty film that forms under the freezer compartment on the back wall in our Frigidaire mdl# FFHB2740PSBA , has anyone else experienced this.
Geo

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-19, 11:02 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
Is this back in the area where the cold air comes out ?

Old 07-21-19, 04:38 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
Can you describe the "dirty film"? Is it like a thin layer of oil or is it dark dry dirt stuck to the side.

Old 08-07-19, 02:45 PM
Hi, itís all over the inside , Iíll post a pic , it wipes off with little effort.
Geo

Attached Images  
Old 08-07-19, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Do you burn candles or oil lamps in your home? I have seen the soot from candles & lamps stick to plastics like that.

Old 08-08-19, 04:25 AM
An occasional candle but I doubt itís enough to make that much soot.
Geo

Old 08-08-19, 04:45 AM
Group Moderator
Plastics can have a magical ability to attract very small particulate in the air like smoke, soot and very fine dust. Try cleaning the plastic thoroughly then go over it with some computer/tv screen anti static spray if you have any lying around.

Old 08-08-19, 04:45 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 126
Yep, just dirt in the air or soot. Stuff likes to stick to plastic because of static electricity. Every time you open the freezer or fridge, cold air pours out the bottom and warm air from the room fills that space from the top. Whatever dust is in the air is now in your fridge. Same thing happens if you have a leaky gasket, but it's less air over more time.

Old 08-08-19, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
Sorry, but I have to put in my 2 cents. I would find it very hard to believe all that dirt would stick to the inside of a fridge everytime the door is opened or if a candle is burning. I burn occasional candles and I've never, ever seen soot form anywhere, even near the candle. Doubt if he's burning hundreds of candles round the clock, lol!
I also have a dog that sheds big time, so there's plenty of dust, dirt and dander floating around and never, ever has it gotten into a refrigerator.
There must be a better reason than this. I would think it's coming from something inside the fridge. The only thing that makes sense in my mind.

Old 08-08-19, 12:05 PM
Group Moderator
You are correct. I most often see it on other plastic items in homes. Inside a fridge things like the fan bushing might generate a very fine dust but I have never seen it happen inside a fridge. With other plastics the problem goes away or is greatly reduced after a few cleanings. I think a couple cleanings removes the residual electrical charge in the plastic so it no longer attracts the soot.

Oddly, I've never seen the problem with cigarette smoke. I've only seen it happen with candles and oil lamps but I assume almost anything that can generate very fine particulate can cause it, even air pollution.

Old 08-09-19, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Dirty film on plastic inside medicine cabinet. (Wife burns candles in bathroom).

Attached Images  
Old 08-10-19, 04:23 AM
Group Moderator
My wife likes to burn a candle when she's soaking in the tub. The toilet is in a separate room and the plastic toilet seat collects a similar soot pattern. You can see the path of how the plastic flowed into the mold by the soot pattern.

Old 08-10-19, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
We also have soot marks on the wall behind the night lights (convection created by the hot light bulbs draw more air than usual past the bulb, where it then collects on the wall) and on the ceiling above the light bulbs above the medicine cabinet.

Not saying it's all from candles... there's always dust in the air too.

Old 08-10-19, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
Sorry, but not convinced. It's a refrigerator, which would be sealed pretty well, in a kitchen. Unless they turned their kitchen into some sort of spa with hours of candle burning, that explanation just doesn't seem plausible. If it's dirt, where would all that dirt be coming from? No one's house is that dirty, unless there's some work being done out in the street that would come in thru open windows. Again, my 2 cents.

Old 08-10-19, 07:22 AM
Group Moderator
Again... not saying it's all from candles... LOL