water filter 4396508 broke off in refrigerator; can't get broken piece out

Old 07-29-19, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water filter 4396508 broke off in refrigerator; can't get broken piece out

Not sure how or why this happened, but I opened a shut-off that feeds an outdoor hose. I go upstairs and water is gushing out of the refrigerator bottom. I ran downstairs to shut off the shut-off I had just opened, but the refrigerator water shut off in before it in the line, so I shut off the water to the fridge. Turns out the water filter cracked near the end that sticks into the fridge and I can't figure out how I'll get the broken piece out....

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-19, 05:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Please give make and model # of fridge, you gave number of filter does not help us.

Old 07-29-19, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 380 Votes on 357 Posts
I think that's a Kenmore/Whirlpool fridge. You'll need to get something to span across the small end of the filter. The first thing that come to mind is a sharp chisel.

Name:  IMG_2648.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  19.1 KB

Old 07-30-19, 05:39 AM
You'll need to get something to span across the small end of the filter. The first thing that come to mind is a sharp chisel.
I was thinking a long spade drill bit, and assuming that a quarter turn left should release it....

Old 07-30-19, 05:53 AM
Please give make and model # of fridge, you gave number of filter does not help us.
I think that's a Kenmore/Whirlpool fridge.
It's a Whirlpool build sold as Kitchenaid. Filter goes in the front bottom, under the side-by-side freezer. I can't figure out how opening the hose shutoff factors into this but it would be a strange coincidence otherwise. You would think that opening a shutoff farther down the line would, if anything, LESSEN pressure in the fridge line. I've had this fridge about 20 years and changed the filter a dozen times at least....never had one break before.

Attached Images  
Old 08-12-19, 03:00 PM
A long spade bit in a hand-driver did the trick, quarter turn to the left to get it out. Here's what the broken filter looked like.

Moral of the story: the filters are recommended to be changed every 6 months, and that's not just because of the filtering ability. There's a warning on the side that says they may fail if left in too long, as mine did. In my defense I have a whole-house water filter so the water through the door continued to taste great long after the filter "expired", but in retrospect, 4 years (!!) was way too long....

Attached Images   
Old 08-12-19, 03:28 PM
Received 77 Votes on 71 Posts
I have similar problem. I cannot remove the old filter. I've tried everything short of forcing and breaking the unit. This fridge is fairly new, so I'm leaving it alone. And I use to change the filter regularly until this particular unit won't budge.

eddieo45 voted this post useful.
Old 08-12-19, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
Thanks for the warning. My fridge is fed RO filtered water so I've never changed the filter. Looks like I should never try.

eddieo45 voted this post useful.
Old 08-12-19, 05:45 PM
Received 112 Votes on 103 Posts
FYI, if your not using the filters you can purchase a bypass plug that replaces the filter.

If you leave the filter in it could plug up some day!

Pilot Dane voted this post useful.
Old 08-13-19, 05:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
Oh, thank you. I'll have to look for a plug for my fridge.