Confusing Circuit

Old 09-10-19, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Confusing Circuit

OK. So I bought my current house in 2016 and have been a little annoyed in that when I run a microwave and kettle from the same receptacle in my kitchen, I blow a breaker. On my panel board, the breaker is a double pole (breaker switches connected by a handle). I assumed it was a 3 way circuit on a split circuit outlet and that a separate circuit would power the top plug and another the bottom, and therefore I should not be tripping breakers like I do.

When I take the outlet out of the box, I notice that the black is on one side, the white is on another and the red wire is alone NOT CONNECTED to anything with a wire nut on the end of it. The outlet is not split.

Would anyone know why someone would do this. I am thinking that someone changed the outlet in the past and figured that they only needed to connect the black and white power wires, when setting up a receptacle, but did not know that this one was a split circuit. Definitely the outlets are not original to my 1984 built house.

I would like to split it back up and it appears all I have to do is wrap the red wire around the outlet and snap off the little connector on the black side that connect the two brass terminals (let me know if there is more to it then that. I have never set up a split circuit before).

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-19, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry. I reposted this in the electrical section. It was posted here in error. It can be deleted here if that works better.