GE Profile Refrigerator: loud noise.

Old 09-22-19, 07:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Profile Refrigerator: loud noise.

I have a GE Profile Fridge Model Number: PFSS6PKXGSS, which just started making what soiuds to me like a loud fan noise. The noise is coming from the very top middle of the refrigerator. It is a french door style fridge, with freezer drawer on the bottom. When facing the fridge the ice tray maker is on the top upper left corner of the fridge. When I open the refrigerator doors, the noise will stop. After closing the doors the noise will resume after a brief second. Looking at some things online it looks like there is an evaporative cooler in that area, and the evap cooler has its own fan. I am guessing this is the noise. It looks like the fan can be purchased and is easy enough to replace. However, the back of the fridge has two small panels, neither in the vicinity of the noise, and both panels say "Do not open unless you are a service professional". I am assuming this is because of the Freon. I am no professional, but I am no dummy either. Wanted to check with the community first before I rip into it though! ;-)

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-19, 07:49 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
Below is a link to a service manual.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzI...JZSzYyU00/view

Sounds like is either the fresh food or ice room fan.

DontTread voted this post useful.
Old 09-22-19, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Nothing you can do will release any refrigerant unless you chop ice with an ice pick.

You will need to remove the rear cover over the evaporator coil and fan. It will be iced up.
The fan will be hitting the ice. You may have a defrost problem.

Was the door inadvertently left open ? That will cause a fast buildup of ice.

Old 09-22-19, 10:21 AM
UPDATE:

I took a quick video showing the fridge, noise, where noise is coming from, and how noise shuts off when opening the door.

In the video, you can also see where the access panels are, and neither of them are located anywhere near the noise, and the major portion of the back panel of fridge appears to be tack welded on the corners.

VIDEO LINK:
https://youtu.be/8zjqUcD4hD4

I am in the process of following the service manual and removing "fresh food evaporator cover", but I am a little concerned about the styrofoam I see behind it, and damaging it, as shown in the attached pictures.

Name:  f1.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  f2.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  42.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-22-19 at 10:32 AM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Old 09-22-19, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
The fan turns off when the door is opened. That's normal. You need to hold the button in.
The fan is loud in the back of the fridge because it's mounted on the inside back of the fridge.

I see you posted your pics directly to the board.
That foam should be removable for servicing.

Old 09-22-19, 10:54 AM
Thank you for the quick replies Pete! The 6 snapins holding the cover on towards the middle and bottom are all popped off, which should be the only ones holding it in.

The manual instructs that after those 6 are popped, you should be able to pull down on cover and remove it.

I havent been able to do that yet. I have man handled many things in the past, and more often than not, especially with plastic, I have broke something!

So I am trying to go slow, and use appropriate force, but it isn't budging! I have tried using a butter knife towards the top trying to assist popping it from top and coming down, but that didnt seem to help either.

Any pro tips? Would a quick video help?

Do any of the other parts need to be removed? LED light above? Water filter? Usually manual states pre-requisities if something else needs to be removed first...

Old 09-22-19, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
It may be frozen in with an ice block. There shouldn't be any other retaining clips.

Old 09-22-19, 11:39 AM
It is looking like the top screw in the center that holds the rail in place is cone shaped plastic that inserts into the styrofoam.

I dont have a heat gun, so I tried some redneck improvization with a blow torch, gloves, vice grips with rubber handles, and a sheet of 1/8" metal... Good idea, but it wasnt melting any ice very quick.

Thats when the step-son said what about a hair dryer? This is what happens when you have been bald for last 25 years!

That small piece if free, now just running hair dryer around all the rest hopping it pops off smooth now!

Old 09-22-19, 12:08 PM
UPDATE: NEW PICTURES!!!

So that is off, and everything is completely iced over. How do I determine the root cause?

Just as an FYI... It was cooling fine, it was just making A LOT of noise, and the pictures make it clear why.

Can I just defrost everything today, determine root cause, put it back together, order parts, and fix?

Attached Images