GE GSD5960G00SS dishwasher not draining water

Old 09-30-19, 08:30 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE GSD5960G00SS dishwasher not draining water

this GE dishwasher stopped draining water couple of months ago. I had home warranty, made a service call, paid 100$ for the call, the guy came and fixed it.
Worked fine for couple of weeks. Then the top shelf started coming out not so clean, and now, about 6 weeks after the initial repair, same thing again, it is not draining water.
Can someone advise?

Thank you

Old 09-30-19, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Should be at least a 90 day warranty on repair.

That washer uses two pumps.... a high pressure wash pump and a separate drain pump. The wash pump is easy to hear as it's somewhat loud and you can hear the water being sloshed around inside. The first part of the cycle is a pre-rinse. The unit fills, rinses the dishes, empties the water and refills for wash. This usually takes about 5 minutes. See if you can hear the pump running after the wash pump shuts off. You can take off the lower kickpanel to hear better.

A typical problem is that the wash pump and the drain pump share a common sump and it gets a food build up in it. That sump is covered with a screen. In the link below you can see an exploded view of the system under the "motor-pump mechanism" tab.. Part 502 looks to be a removable screen over the sump area.
Exploded parts views

Another important item is that the drain line needs to go all the way up to just below the countertop and then down to the drain. If this is not done... the line gets clogged with food and grime and would need to be removed and cleaned.

Name:  DDW.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  15.7 KB

mrdoc voted this post useful.
Old 10-05-19, 06:46 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the response. I ran the empty dishwasher to see if the motor would start, and it did. I ran a quick cycle and found out that all the water was drained!
I have run a clean cycle twice since then, water drains fine but the dishes come out "not clean". Any suggestion please?

Old 10-05-19, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
By no clean.... is the original food on them or are they now covered in pieces of ground up food ?

Dishes not cleaning can be caused by water not hot enough.
Are the holes in the spray arms clean ?
Can you hear the spray arm spinning during wash ?
It turns slow... you can hear the water hit the door and move on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: