Frigidaire keeps stopping and starting

Old 11-01-19, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire keeps stopping and starting

We have an approximately 10 year old Frigidaire refrigerator, lately I have noticed what sounds like something is starting and stopping every few seconds, it's a sort of whirring noise (I'll try to get a video next time it does it). This continues for a couple minutes, then stops.

I took the rear panel off and gave it a much needed, and to be honest long overdue, cleaning. But, the noise is still there. As far as I am able to tell both the freezer and fridge side are cooling fine, my concern is that if ignored the noise will get worse and ultimately mean a replacement fridge.

Is there anything I can easily check in order to figure out the problem? Hopefully it being something I can repair.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-19, 07:36 AM
Received 58 Votes on 54 Posts
Most units have the following parts which could be making the noise.
Compressor, condenser/compressor fan, evaporator/freezer fan.
Some units have a motorized damper between the freezer and fresh food sections.
Also the ice maker can make noise.

By you description of the noise it sounds like it is a fan so that is where I would start.
These fans usually run when the compressor starts/runs.

Old 11-02-19, 04:22 PM
Thanks, I think tomorrow I'll pull the unit out and remove the back cover. I can then watch the condenser fan while it makes the noise to check that one.

Not sure where the evaporator fan is located exactly, but I can also use locating that to throw out some of the stuff that's been in the freezer too long.

Edit: noticed it making the noise, opened the freezer door and the evaporator fan looks to be behind a panel at the top behind the ice maker. The noise is clearly coming from behind there, at the moment looks like it might be the fan that needs replacing.

Last edited by naiku; 11-02-19 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-03-19, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 448 Posts
Where is the noise heard the loudest..... in the freezer or behind the unit ?
It won't be both.

Your description is pointing to a stuck/sticking damper.
A fridge model number will be needed.

Old 11-04-19, 09:05 AM
The noise is pretty loud with the door opened, to me it sounds as though it is coming from behind where the ice maker is located. I will say I have not been behind the freezer while it is making the noise to confirm it with absolute certainty, but with the freezer door open the noise is considerably louder than with it closed and sounds like it is back and about a quarter of the way down from the top.

Model number is FRS6LF7JB3

Old 11-04-19, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 448 Posts
The damper is between the freezer and fridge. It's directly behind the light in the fridge on the left side. If you click on the "Controls" tab in the following link. The damper is part #115. It is serviced from the fridge side.

However..... it appears that these fridges have problems with the condenser fan blades. That would be the fan underneath the unit used to exhaust the heated air. I've seen many complaints of the blades breaking off.

Exploded parts views

Old 11-05-19, 08:32 AM
The condenser fan blades are all good, none broken there. I cleaned them as best I could while also cleaning the coils at the rear.

Is there a way to test the damper? The fridge side is staying cold, but I would imagine if the damper is not always stuck then that would explain the fridge being cold. If it ended up fully stuck, then at that point the fridge side would end up warm. For $200 in parts it might even just make sense to grab the damper and evaporator fan assembly, certainly cheaper than a whole new fridge/freezer and will give it a bit of a full service at the same time.

Old 11-23-19, 06:11 PM
Got around to replacing the evaporator fan today, easy enough job. But... When I took the fan mounting bracket out, I noticed a lot of ice build up. I then removed the lower rear cover to inspect the coils and they were a block of ice.

After putting the new fan motor in and plugging the unit back in, the fan appears to be running fine and the freezer was getting colder than it's felt for a while. However, I noticed that after a couple hours though that ice was starting to build up again on the coils. I put everything back together for now as I need the refrigerator running. The odd thing is that the whirring is back, if I put my hand over the vent that is above the evaporator fan I can feel the air blowing harder/softer in relation to the whirring.

So, what else could it be? The damper? Thermostat faulty and not defrosting the coils?

Thanks.

Old 11-24-19, 07:49 AM
Received 58 Votes on 54 Posts
You have a defrost problem since the evaporator was a block of ice.
It should run OK until everything ices up again.

Force a defrost cycle.
Usually on Frigidaires it is push the fresh food light switch 5 times in 6 seconds.
The light bulb must be good for this to work.
The compressor and fans should shut off, you are now in defrost.

The defrost heater should come on. If checking it with your fingers be careful as it gets very hot.

If the heater comes on then odds are that the adaptive defrost board needs replacing.

If the heater does not come on then unplug the unit.
Check the heater, should be less than 100 ohms.
Check the defrost thermostat, should be 0 ohms (closed) when frozen.
Note that it opens just above freezing.