replacing washing machine inlet hoses (inexperienced DIYer)

Old 11-12-19, 07:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
replacing washing machine inlet hoses (inexperienced DIYer)

It's time for me to replace the water inlet hoses for my 5 year old washing machine. I'm not a super experienced DIYer, so I'm wondering if there is more to it than just shutting off the water, unplugging the washer, turning off the washer's circuit breaker, and then exchanging the old hoses for new ones. A couple specific questions I have are listed below.

1. I've heard that there may be filters in the hoses or at the connections. Is that correct? If so, do I need to get new filters or are they included with the replacement hoses?

2. Do I have to be careful about what size hoses I buy? Specifically, is there a single standard size at the connections or do I need to be careful about getting the right size? (I plan to buy stainless steel hoses.)

I'd also appreciate any other tips to make the job easier or go more smoothly.

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-12-19, 07:24 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
You don't need to turn off the electric or unplug the machine. If you feel safer doing so, fine. Just turn off the supply faucet. Buy the replacement hose at any home supply store and replace. It's no different than a garden hose. Replace any washers just for good measure. Be sure the connections are tight. Turn water faucet back on.

Edit...If you don't do it, you should turn off the water supply every time you finish using tjhe washing machine. Hoses can burst if left under pressure.

Old 11-12-19, 07:57 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
The filters (screens) you refer to are usually built into the water valve. You can see them when the hose is removed. Would not be a bad idea to check them before attaching the new hoses.

Hoses are a standard size as far as connections but do vary in length.

Old 11-12-19, 09:01 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
There may be some residual water in the old hoses. Have a small bucket handy when you disconnect the hoses. I usually disconnect the hoses from the supply valves first and check to make sure there is no water before disconnecting from the washer.

Just to be clear the hose screens should be located in the inlet valves not the supply valves.

Old 11-12-19, 10:39 AM
So as far as the screens (filters) go, it sounds like they are permanently installed in the inlet valves, and I just need to check them and clean out any debris that may have collected there.

Regarding the hoses, I'll check the length of the ones currently attached. I'll make sure I get four new washers if they're not already included with the hoses that I buy. And thanks for the tip about having a bucket ready for any residual water left in the hoses.

I'm always a little hesitant about doing maintenance or a repair job for the first time, especially when there is the risk of water damage if I make a mistake. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Old 11-12-19, 01:11 PM
C
Actually the filters are very easy to replace. You can also buy them at a home center but typically all they might need is a flush under a faucet - if anything.

I have to disagree about turning off the supply water whenever the washer is not in use. Old rubber hoses used to rupture under pressure and that could be a disaster if you are not home. However, the braided stainless steel reinforced hoses are very reliable. Many are even advertised as "burst proof." I have never had one fail, nor have I ever heard of one failing. Although I suspect that one might fail if installed incorrectly. By failure I am talking about a burst, not a leak at a connection.

The only time I ever shut off the washer water supply is when we go on vacation and I only do that out of habit.

Old 11-12-19, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the additional info on the filters.

Regarding the hoses, I am planning on installing stainless steel ones rather than rubber. Even though you've found stainless steel to be very reliable, is there a recommended number of years of use after which you would replace them?

Old 11-12-19, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Just the outer braid is stainless steel. There is still a rubber hose contained inside the braid. I believe they recommend replacement every five years. It will be on the package.

I've had mine on over 15 years. Haven't had any issues and the hoses are still very flexible.

The filters in the washing machine fill valve will rarely clog. The only time I'd be concerned about them is if you are on a well versus city water.

Old 11-13-19, 04:48 AM
C
My thought is that some hose manufacturers recommend replacement every 5 years as a sales gimmick. Mine are at least 10 years old and I probably wont replace them until I replace the washer.

If you thing about it, many of us have braided SS hoses supplying toilets, vanity sinks, and the kitchen sink. How many people shut off those connections whenever they aren't in use?

Old 11-13-19, 10:45 AM
I checked my washer's owner's manual and it recommends changing the hoses every 5 years, but it makes no mention of stainless steel hoses so I assume the recommendation is for rubber hoses. I plan to use stainless steel so it's encouraging to hear that folks here have positive things to say about them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: