Maytag washer LAT4916AAE motor hums, does not start

Old 12-14-19, 09:15 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maytag washer LAT4916AAE motor hums, does not start

My Maytag LAT4916AAE fills with water, but does not agitate or spin, and the motor makes a loud humming noise.

I removed both belts, and the pump pulley rotates freely. The brake pulley also turns freely both ways.

The motor still just hums with the belts removed.

I opened up the little switch box on the top of the motor and cleaned the contacts. After putting it back together, the motor still just hums.

So, I'm about to order a new motor, but I thought it would be a good idea to post on this forum first. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Name:  wpm.jpg
Views: 2988
Size:  90.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-14-19 at 09:32 AM. Reason: added diagram
Old 12-14-19, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I added a wiring diagram to your post. There is a pink line pointing to the centrifugal start switch. It needs to be closed to power the start winding and then opens when motor starts spinning. The centrifugal switch can be seen inside the end of the motor. It has a spinning weight on a moveable linkage.

Switch 2 and 4 is part of the motor reversing system.
There is always hot sent to the run winding on red wire and neutral on white wire.
Yellow and blue is the start winding.
In one direction..... the blue is hot and the yellow is neutral.
In the other direction.... yellow is hot and blue is neutral.

You can check the yellow and blue wires quickly to see if they are getting power. If they are..... the centrifugal switch is not closing. If they aren't getting power.... there is problem inside that switch box.

Old 12-14-19, 10:09 AM
J
Thanks for the reply!

When I put power on the motor to check the yellow and blue wires, and the motor starts humming, will the motor be damaged if I leave power on it too long? If so, how long is too long?

Old 12-14-19, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Keep it to a few seconds. If powered too long the thermal overload will kick in.
Have your meter leads connected before turning the power on.

Old 12-14-19, 12:29 PM
J
There is a wire going to the switch box that looks more purple than blue, but I'm assuming that is the blue one. There is no power between the blue and yellow wires to the switch box.

appliancepartspros.com shows that part discontinued. Is my only option a new motor?

Old 12-14-19, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
There is power and neutral inside that switch box. Without it..... the motor won't hum. It comes out of the switchbox and goes to the motor so the problem looks to be a switch contact.

No.... the motor switch is not available.

Old 12-20-19, 04:03 PM
J
I ordered a new motor and installed it yesterday. All is well. It's running like new. Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: