Wife's extra well-done cookies, oven temp problem

Old 12-11-19, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Wife's extra well-done cookies, oven temp problem

Kenmore electric range 790.96212403, about 10 or 12 years old maybe?

So my wife is in her pre-holiday cookie baking mode and tonight she had a sheet of cookies in the oven when she sees smoke curling out of the oven. Opens oven and cookies are black and smoking after only 5 minutes of a 6 minute bake time.

After she switched off the oven and ran the smoking evidence outside, I switched it back on and set to 325. After a couple of minutes I checked the oven thermometer and the temp was climbing past 400 degrees, apparently unregulated.

Question: I'm assuming failure of a temp sensor/thermocouple? Or a circuit board? Troubleshooting steps if any or what to replace? There was no error code or anything different, the temp display read 325 throughout.

Good news is she has a considerable amount of her baking done, but not all of it so I'll need to get this fixed up.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-19, 07:55 PM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
Unplug the unit and the oven sensor.
The oven sensor should be about 1100 ohms at room temperature.

If OK odds are that the the control bard is shot.
You may also have to replace the overlay as most are glued (double sided tape) to the control.

Sometime heating it up with a hair dryer lets you remove it without damage.

There is a wiring diagram at the Sears parts site.

Old 12-11-19, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks.

Ohmed the sensor - 1152 at the sensor, 1148 including the wiring up to the control board. It may not be all the way down to RT yet, but pretty close. I can check it again in the morning when it's totally cooled down.

So looks like circuit board. Is this common or at least not UN-common? And never got an error code displayed as I see mentioned in numerous places when I google this up?

Wife has lots of baking still to do, so looks like I'll be hunting up a circuit board.

Old 12-12-19, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
No.... that is not common. Typically the relay contacts are burned and the oven won't make temperature. Your problem sounds like a relay may be sticking. Iffy quality relays in that Frigidaire oven.

You should also check the sensor resistance right on the board as there is a connection down in the oven and connections to the board.

Frigidaire OEM # 316557238

I rebuild my own boards by replacing the relays and touching up all solder connections. In the link below is a company that offers a rebuilt board. I'm thinking that may be a good investment as it should have been serviced professionally. You can also google the part number for a best buy.

Rebuilt board

Old 12-13-19, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks, Pete. Stuck relay on the board is what I was guessing, but troubleshooting and repair past what I've already done (other than replacing the board) is over my head. Ordered a replacement that will be in today (wifey chomping at the bit to finish holiday baking). I hadn't thought about a reman, the new one was about $25 more, so not too bad. I'll hang onto the old one.