Top Freezer Icing

Old 12-19-19, 05:47 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Top Freezer Icing

My Whirlpool top freezer refrigerator has a couple of times now deposited ice on the freezer floor.

Everything points to a clogged drain hole in the freezer compartment, but before I take the fascia cover of the inside rear wall to expose the drain hole and thaw and/or clean it, I am thinking there must be something more that is wrong. I mean the drain hole is clearly protected, so no food or gunk could be getting into it. So the drain hole has to be frozen, at least some of the time and this seems like a bigger issue.

People's thoughts? thanks.

Old 12-19-19, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,953 Votes on 2,664 Posts
the drain hole is clearly protected, so no food or gunk could be getting into it.
So you would thing but that's not quite true. Clogged drains in fridges is a pretty common problem. The air circulates thru the coil depositing grime on it. When it defrosts that gets flushed down the drain. You could have a problem right at the top or in one of the bends going down to the drip tray.

Typically I'll flush that drain with a cup of hot water with a half cup of bleach.

Old 12-20-19, 02:34 AM
M
Received 235 Votes on 213 Posts
Lots of things can get in and block a drain hole.
A common one is the plastic tabs they use to seal bread bags etc.

Also there are drain tubes out there that have a high probability of clogging re: duckbills.

A model number may be useful to see if the drain tube has been upgraded.

Old 12-20-19, 07:52 AM
G
Thanks, all.

My Whirlpool is model # WRT359SFYW00

Old 12-20-19, 07:59 AM
M
I could not find a picture of the actual drain tube so cannot say if it has come type of trap built into it.

Old 12-20-19, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,953 Votes on 2,664 Posts
Yeah.... not much in the way of pictures for that model. Some videos below. The first video is the common drain setup and the actual drain is under a metal tray. Be very careful working in there.... lots of sharp edges. After I get the drain unclogged.... I rinse with a cup of hot water mixed with half a cup of bleach.

Whirlpool drain video
Whirlpool drain video

Old 03-22-20, 03:49 PM
G
I had thought that I was just going to have to remove the gray plastic center piece in the photo to get to the drain hole to work on the clog. After removing it and looking into the openings at the bottom of the remaining white panel it seems that is where the ice dam is and the white panel itself will need to be removed.. I think the drain hole is over on the right.. I have not been able to remove the wire shelf in the photos. It can be knocked upwards in the slots at the endpoints, but I do not see how to tilt it to remove it.so that the white panel can be removed. I guess I didn't have to remove the gray plastic center cover as it would come along with removing the entire white back panel. At least it helped me to survey the problem.

Please let me know if my understanding of the situation is correct. Thank you.

Old 03-23-20, 02:34 AM
M
Below is from the operators manual.

Wire Freezer Shelf (on some models}
To remove and replace a wire shelf:
1. Remove the shelf by lifting the entire shelf slightly and moving it all the way to the left-hand side. Tilt the right-hand side up and out of the shelf supports.
2. Replace the shelf by inserting the left-hand end all the way into the shelf supports. Then, lower the right-hand end of the shelf and insert it into the shelf supports.
NOTE: The shelf should lower slightly and lock into place. If the shelf does not appear stable, make sure both ends of the shelf are inserted into the shelf supports.

Old 05-05-20, 09:48 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I had this problem with a bunch of units and found the compressor was comming on too quick after defrost and freezing up the drain. I replaced the timers with an adjustable one that you can set the defrost time and length.

Old 05-05-20, 09:54 AM
G
Heating the drip trays with a hair dryer and chipping some of the ice seemed to do the trick. Perhaps I freed up the ice jam.

Knock on wood, it has been operating correctly now for a few months.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: