Whirlpool Oven Not Heating Properly

Old 02-11-20, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Oven Not Heating Properly

I have a Whirlpool Oven (RF367LXSY) that is not heating to temp. When cold, if I turn the oven on, the lower (bake) element will heat up but quickly shuts off. The upper (broil) element will heat up until glowing hot. Oven is not coming up to temp, and broil element will stay on.

Continuity test on the bake element passed. I replaced it just in case, but this is clearly not the issue. Testing the two inputs, I am getting 120V on both. Once the element shuts off, I am reading 0V on both leads. I know that the elements cycle on an off, but I would think both would cycle on/off at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-20, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You missed a digit at the end of the model number.

Testing the two inputs, I am getting 120V on both.
What two inputs ?
If you are talking about testing at the end of the element..... you should be measuring 240v across the element.

Old 02-13-20, 06:06 AM
Thank you PJmax

Yes, the full model number of our stove is RF367LXSY0

I disconnected the leads from the bake element and tested each individually... when the over is first turned on I get 120V to each. I did a bit of reading and understand that my oven is using 240v single phase, meaning that I have two out-of-phase hot wires. I don't think I should see 240V across them both.

The bake element comes on once at the beginning of the preheat cycle, heats up nice and red and then cycles off (broil element comes on). When broil element kicks off, the bake element should kick back on but doesn't. Could this be caused by a failed or stuck relay on the control board?

Old 02-13-20, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
I don't think I should see 240V across them both.
Yes..... you should. Those are 240v heating elements.

It's normal for the bake element to come on first and then change over to broil element. It should then switch back to bake to bring the oven to full temperature.

Since both elements are working..... the relays are ok. I'm trying to find a tech sheet for servicing that range. There should be one inside the unit..... either in the back or near the controller. It will describe the timing on the heating elements. It looks like it may be a problem with the control board.

Tech sheet # 9762979

sbogener voted this post useful.
Old 02-16-20, 05:50 AM
Tech sheet was on back of oven. I am not sure what I am looking for though.

Walking through the symptoms, I am also leaning towards this being a control board problem. We plan to remodel the kitchen within the next year, so I would rather not invest in a new oven until we know what the new configuration will be. That said, the control board looks to be nearly half the price of a replacement stove. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks again for the help,

Shawn