Wine cooler keeps getting colder

Old 03-20-20, 10:27 AM
I
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wine cooler keeps getting colder

While not a "Large" appliance, it's a refrigeration unit so I trust this is the correct forum. The unit in question is a Wine Enthusiast 6-bottle cooler, Model# 272 03 07. I have cleaned the unit from dust even though it was fairly clean, and is about 14 months old. Has been working fine for over a year then started to drop the inside temp from the set temp.

Inside temp was set at 62 deg, then we noticed it on 51 deg, but the "Set Temp" was still at 62.In the last few days the inside temp had dropped to 44 deg so we unplugged it. I'm guessing a thermistor of some sort or their "Thermoelectric Module", I have unplugged the unit for an hour to no avail. I'm fine with soldering and circuit boards so curious if anyone has insight on this model/style of cooler.

I wanted to ask here before I started tearing into it.

Thanks.

Old 03-20-20, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,967 Votes on 2,677 Posts
Your not going to find much service information on this unit. I'd start by measuring the resistance on the temperature probe. It's labeled as temp PTC in manual below. It's either that has drifted off value or the relay on the control board has welded shut. The thermistor should be in the +/-10kOhm range and vary when heated and cooled.

Wine Enthusiast 272-03-07 manual

A picture of your control board would be helpful...... How-to-insert-pictures.

There are a few places selling parts. No details on resistance value of the temp probe. The boards are pricey at $100 and up. Temp probe $22.
Heritage parts

Old 03-20-20, 12:04 PM
I
Great thanks, I will get it apart this weekend and let you know.

Old 03-22-20, 06:09 PM
I
Here's a pic of the inside. The thermister I believe is the 3-pin connector, also looks to be a pita to access through the insulation.

Attached Images     
Old 03-25-20, 11:01 AM
I
In regards to resistance, this is what I came up with:

Black to Red : 11.6 M Ohms
White to Red: 429 K Ohms
White to Black: 27.9 K ohms

Attached Images  
Old 03-25-20, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
According to the manual I left you link to..... the temperature adjustment and the light is the three pin plug. The sensor is shown as a two pin plug.

The manual shows four actual mini connectors....
Cold sink fan- interior
Heat sink fan- exterior
Sensor
Temp adjust and light.

Old 03-26-20, 10:16 AM
I
Thanks again, yeah, I did see the manual, I was looking at the temp sensor inside the cooler which is visible on the rear of the inside of the cooler. That sensor seems to be for the front control display.

The 2-wire sensor you are referring to is sandwiched between the heatsinks, or cooling fins? I'm actually quite intrigued how this thing actually works.

Nonetheless, the 2-wire, wafer-looking sensor is measuring 27 ohms, (27 actual, not K or M) but is still soldered to the board so still in circuit.

Looks like some type of coating on the screw heads, I assume for vibration to keep them from working loose?

Attached Images    
Old 03-26-20, 12:24 PM
I
Learning more about this, the wafer is the thermochip. After speaking with the tech support, they don't know what the values should be.

So basically we are at the point of either the thermochip overcooling, or the temp sensor not reading correctly and not shutting off the thermochip.

So I would assume it would be the temp sensor correct?
Looking at the board from right to left.

2 soldered wires are the thermochip
Red/black is outside fan
Yellow/black is inside fan
Black/Red/White like you stated is the front panel/inside temp sensor.

Edit: I'm over my quota on pics, trying to remedy via android is frustrating.

Last edited by i6pwr; 03-26-20 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-26-20, 01:06 PM
M
Received 235 Votes on 213 Posts
It is very hard to get meter readings that tell you anything from a peltier device.
At least I could not get a meaningful reading when I messed around with one in a plugin cooler.
I can tell you that if you switch the input polarity the original cold side will now be a hot side.
FYI: I hope you did not clean off the peltier cell. It just looks too clean to me as usually they are coated in thermoelectric goop/grease to give a good themo contact with the fins.

I would say the problem is either with the thermistor (temp sensor) or the board.

Old 03-26-20, 01:18 PM
Group Moderator
That is not a sensor. The hard wired connections are for the Peltier devices and should not be messed with. 27 ohms there is normal.
You circled a part in your first set of pictures. That part should be sticking into the fridge and should be the sensor. That should have two wires connecting it.

Old 03-26-20, 02:16 PM
I
I didn't disturb the paste in the sense of touching it, still a soft consistency. If I need to re-apply then I will.

The sensor inside the unit that I circled, must be connected either from the 3-wire connector or a seperate lead from the front.

There are 5 wires going into the case, two to the fan (yellow/black) and the 3 from the 3-wire connector.

If the inside temp sensor has a 2-wire connector, then it must come from the front.

Old 03-27-20, 07:07 AM
M
Received 235 Votes on 213 Posts
I found the following. It looks like it uses the same power board so there are probably other simillarities.
Looks like the thermistor goes to the temperature control board and mot this board.
file:///C:/Users/dhjsa/Downloads/Edg...2002022018.pdf

Also the following, look at about the 18 minute mark where he explains the LEDs on the power board.
​​​​​​​https://support.edgestar.com/hc/en-u...-Cooler-Videos

All the stuff I saw on the net is that the thermistor is a NTC (negative temperature coefficient).
The thermistor's resistance increases as the temperature decreases.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: