Whirlpool Oven "Thinks" Oven Door Is Open

Old 03-24-20, 06:00 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Oven "Thinks" Oven Door Is Open

I have a Whirlpool built-in electric oven, model RBS305PVS02. Power to house failed yesterday. Since power returned, the oven shows "door" on the display when we try to bake, broil or self-clean, and the interior oven light stays on. I've tried turning the circuit breaker on and off several times, leaving it off for extended periods of time before turning back on. Because the door lock appeared to be engaged and the door did not appear to close completely, I removed the door lock motor so I could close the door. Nothing I have tried has helped. The oven still "thinks" the door is open. Everything else seems to be functioning properly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-20, 06:53 AM
M
Received 92 Votes on 87 Posts
Sounds like a control board problem.

The following may help eliminate the door latch assembly as the problem.

2. Check the Latch Solenoid: - Check for firm electrical connections. - Disconnect the two wires from the solenoid and measure the resistance of the solenoid. A small resistance (approx. 175Ω) is normal. If the solenoid is open (∞Ω) or shorted (0Ω), it should be replaced.

3. Check the Latch Switch. Disconnect it and use a continuity tester: - Door latched = switch closed, continuity should read 0Ω. - Door unlatched = switch open, continuity should read ∞Ω.

4. Check Door Open/Closed Switch. Disconnect it and use a continuity tester: - Door open = switch closed, continuity should read 0Ω. - Door closed = switch open, continuity should read ∞Ω.

Old 03-25-20, 11:04 AM
J
Thank you, manden. I had disconnected the latch mechanism entirely and attempted to test all 3 sides of connection (not sure where each leads). I did measure some resistance using my multimeter on one side, and attempted to measure continuity on the other two. I donít think my multimeter has a continuity setting, though. I am also wondering if my door switch is built into the latch mechanism, since there is not one on the parts diagram. I ordered a used latch mechanism last night on ebay. Hoping that will fix the problem before I spend larger $ on a control board.

Old 03-25-20, 12:21 PM
M
Received 92 Votes on 87 Posts
Yes the door switch is part of the lock mechanism.

One is a door switch the other is the latch switch.

Old 03-25-20, 08:21 PM
J
Thank you. Hoping new latch mechanism solves the problem.