Weird Question Re: Amana Electric Stove

Old 03-30-20, 10:58 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Weird Question Re: Amana Electric Stove

Recently bought a new Amana electric stove, and have a fairly weird question. In the front of the stove, between the burner top and the controls for oven and burners is a narrow space or opening. Where does it lead, and what is it for? I only ask because I'd opened something with some cardboard peeling off, and in trying to pick this cardboard up, it flipped and went into the opening. Now I'm extremely hesitant to use the stove at all. Not willing to have anyone come into my place at the moment, pretty sure you all understand that! Can any of you help? Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-20, 01:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Post model # and maybe we can help. Look in drawer area for it.

Old 03-31-20, 05:02 AM
Received 19 Votes on 14 Posts
I have an older Amana ceramic cooktop stove. Mine has a slotted area above the cooktop, below the controls. It is the vent for the oven.

Old 03-31-20, 11:42 AM
C
Thank you, Bob!!!!!! Would you say not to use stove til someone can look at it?

Old 03-31-20, 11:45 AM
C
Model # is ACR2303MFW3, and thank you!!!

Old 03-31-20, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 829 Votes on 776 Posts
Based on your description..... yes.... that is the vent from the oven.
I don't recommend using the oven with the cardboard in there.

Name:  er.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  39.6 KB

Old 03-31-20, 01:14 PM
C
Thank you very much!!!! Appreciate your help!!!

Old 04-01-20, 03:53 AM
M
Received 132 Votes on 123 Posts
I looked up the unit on the Sears parts site.
Although they do not mention it in the operators manual (at least in the one I found) the parts show a support rod on the right hand side.
So try lifting the top at the front and that will get you at the upper surface of the oven cavity.

I am also not sure about the slot being the oven vent because the parts do show a tube coming from the oven and out the back rear element center.

My guess would be that the slot helps keep heat generated by the oven away from the electronics so it is a vent just not the oven vent.

Old 04-06-20, 09:17 PM
C
Thank you very much!!!!!! I'll look into this!! Haven't been using oven at all so maybe this will save money on a pro coming out!!!!! Stay safe and well!!!!

Old 04-13-20, 09:31 PM
C
Oven and Stove

Is it all right to use stovetop burners while awaiting repair person? Who knows when that'll be!!??

Old 04-14-20, 10:13 PM
C
Does anyone know whether it's all right to use stovetop burners while awaiting repair pro? That'll likely be some time from now!!!!

Old 04-15-20, 02:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Should not hurt anything. Even if does if you have a service call in and waiting on repair any damage can be explained as original problem. When I was still working I never questioned when damage happened.

Old 04-15-20, 03:32 AM
M
Received 132 Votes on 123 Posts
You did not say if the stove top lifted as I suspected in an earlier post.

If it did lift and there was no cardboard in the cavity between the oven ceiling and the stove top then you should be able to use the burners.

Old 04-20-20, 08:37 AM
C
Thank you, pugsi and manden!!!! I'm unable to lift stove top so maybe it's best not to use the stove until repair pro can take a look!!!

Old 04-26-20, 09:33 AM
C
The stove top does lift, but am unable to do so myself as my strength is limited. Before trying again, does the power source need disconnection? At least, should I shut off breaker?

Old 04-26-20, 10:18 AM
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Yes you should shut off the breaker that powers the stove as you don't know what is under there until you lift the top. I have an old GE electric range in my apartment I always shut off the breaker before I lift up the top for any reason.

It is a good thing to get into the habit of doing when working with any electrical or electronic device.

Once I was working on an old fan that I replaced the power cord (it was a metal fan from the 1960's with no ground wire).

I was working on it at the kitchen counter next to the sink. The fan was working fine and the motor was running so I went to turn it off and I got a little shock from it, It probably would have been worse but being the kitchen area there was a GFCI outlet that tripped and cut power to the fan.

I latter took the fan apart and it looked like the motor had a few strands from one of the winding that were touching the metal case

So please take my advice and turn off the power before working on any device that is powered by electricity