Miele dishwasher "intake/drain" light

Old 04-09-20, 04:55 PM
Received 34 Votes on 30 Posts
Miele dishwasher "intake/drain" light

My Miele model G2170Vi dishwasher has an unhelpful idiot light labeled "Intake/Drain". It is supposed to alert the user that either the hot water intake or the drain is somehow impeded. But it doesn't say which.

There are instructions in the manual saying what to do when the light comes on at the end of a cycle. Pretty obvious: pull apart & inspect the drain area at the bottom of the tub and pull apart & inspect the connection from the water supply.

I have done those things and found nothing. The dishwasher is operating perfectly except for this idiot light.

There was a time several months ago when the light was right: the (estimated 10 year old) rubber hose washer on the intake had disintegrated, clogging the intake filter/strainer. An easy fix to clean the strainer and replace the washer.

But most of the time the light comes on, I find nothing to fix. I wonder if anyone has encountered this and knows why?

Old 04-09-20, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,977 Votes on 2,686 Posts
Some of those machines had a pan underneath and a float in it that activated a light if there was a leak into the pan.

I haven't come across this problem but I see a common theme.........
Clean the triple filter. Look in the area below where the triple filter used to sit: This is where the non-return valve and drain pump sit. Remove the non-return valve by flipping the metal clasp to the left and pulling upward. Rinse the valve.

Old 04-09-20, 05:55 PM
Thanks, that's what the manual says and I have done that before. But this time I see something different on the non-return valve.

See the white stuff around the mouth of the valve? It's not uniform and will flake off if I touch it with a fingernail. I never noticed this before because it was either uniform or not there at all. I don't know whether this is a mineral deposit I should remove or some kind of washer which should be intact. If the latter, it looks like I need to replace the valve.

What do you think?

Attached Images  
Old 04-09-20, 06:16 PM
Ah, never mind, I think I figured it out. That is a rubber part which has started to disintegrate. I found a picture of what it should look like on the Miele site.

Old 04-10-20, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
In the website picture it looks like an actual o-ring. It looks completely different on your valve.

Old 04-10-20, 11:21 AM
What a difference 10 years in hot water can make. I won't know until I receive the replacement whether it's a separate o-ring or permanently attached to the valve. That is the one and only non-return valve available on the Miele site, so I assume they're all the same. Now I just wait for UPS ground, the only available shipping method, to send it across the continent. I wish the manual said something like "this is a wear item and will need to be periodically replaced."

Old 04-10-20, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
I wish the manual said something like "this is a wear item and will need to be periodically replaced."
No..... it's just the operator that gets replaced.

Old 04-22-20, 01:51 PM
I finally got the replacement valve today. What looks like a white O-ring is bonded to the valve body. So of course you need to replace the whole valve instead of just the O-ring. The O-ring is white, not gray like in the photo linked above.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: